uno • Sweet Home Alabama

Alexandrea

My life was perfect before. Living life in a big house with just my mother and father. Having a nice car, going shopping every weekend.

Now it's gone. My father was taken to jail for fraud and we didn't even know. My mother and I had to move out of New York and back to where my mother grew up.

"Sweet home Alabama," My mom exclaimed as she took a deep breath in. I pursed my lips taking my last suitcase out of the trunk. My aunt yelled out for my cousin's name. "Jay come help your cousin move the stuff into her new room." I haven't seen Jay since we were nine. We just send Christmas cards and money down to them.

Jay nodded his head slightly signaling to give him my suitcases. "Hey Alex, long time kid."

"Still have that lisp, I see." I joked and he gave me a glare. We walked up the stairs and he set the bags in the middle of a rather small room.

"This is all of it?" I asked looking around the room.

"Yeah, you got the second biggest room in the house. I had to move into the room with Dray to make room for you." He shrugged sitting on the bed in the corner. I nodded my head slowly as I looked around the room.

It's not that bad. It could be worse, I could've been sharing a room with someone.

"Help me unpack?" I asked him while opening the suitcase.

"You gotta Gucci belt my guy?" Jay asked surprised.

"Yeah, I got a few of them. I don't really use them though. It was more for decor." I said nonchalantly, they didn't really look feminine enough for me.

"Can I take them, like all of them?" He joked, "Yeah, sure. I'll just ask my dad to buy-" I stopped myself. I can't really ask for anything anymore. It's not a snap of finger like it used to be.

"Listen Alex, you don't gotta do this fo. It's not even like that."

I swallowed my pride then softly spoke, "You can take them. Think of them as all the birthday gifts I should've given you."

"Yo, you're the best cousin ever. If I knew it was like this I would've moved up there with y'all a while ago." Jay said literally skipping out of my room.

Hold on, did he just leave me to unpack by myself? I'm flabbergasted, completely and utterly confused on when I told him to leave. This is the lightest I've ever packed, about 6 bags and we're staying here for who knows how long. I miss my old life. filled with diamonds, cars, maids I didn't necessarily need and most importantly my dad. I'm such a daddy's girl, he got me what I wanted when I wanted it. I took my time to pack as much clothing into the small closet that I could.

"Alexandrea, come down stairs." My mother busted into my new bedroom.

"You know you could've knocked. Walking into rooms like a crazy person. It's not gonna get you anywhere." The relationship I had with my mother wasn't as good as my father and i's relationship.

"You need to control your tone." She demanded, I looked over at her wanting to laugh in her face.

"Yeah I'll be right down just let me make this space livable."

"You don't have to be a brat about it."

"You're the one still standing here. 'We need a change of scenery' you said that mom! You said that living here was better then living where I grew up. I left everything behind because of my parents' greediness. I'm just trying to get through this. So sorry if I'm being a brat, that's exactly how I was taught how to act." I told her now standing in front of her basically yelling.

"Alexandrea, when you find your manners could you please come down stairs." She said backing away from me and exiting the room.

I stayed in my new room for hours. Just laying on this oddly comfortable bed. The thing is, I'm not even ready to start my first day of public school tomorrow.