Bad News- Chap. 2

Chapter 2

Lauren couldn’t focus on what her teacher was telling them. The only thing she could think about was her. How she stood there by her locker, silently. How in one swift movement she had that boy against the lockers. The boy was a lot bigger than her, but that didn’t seem to be a problem for her.

Lauren could see the strong arm muscles when she held his arm against his back. Her strong posture was intimidating, and it frightened her a bit that Camila was able to react that quickly with only one simple touch.

Lauren is a little bit smaller than Camila, and she doesn't think she would ever be as strong as her. Or could react that quickly for that matter. She also thinks that it iskind of frustrating that she still hasn’t seen Camila’s face completely. Ever.

They are in their senior year, and in all those years, Lauren has never seen her face or her eyes. In all those years, Lauren had found Camila interesting and in time, she did develop a crush on her. Though she would never admit that to anyone out loud.

Her train of thoughts gets interrupted by the door of the classroom opening slowly. Lauren looks up form the back of the class and sees Camila standing in the doorway, looking down as always.

‘’Camila, you’re late. Care to explain why?’’ Mrs. Grace asks.

Camila lifts her head slightly at her teacher, but not enough to show her eyes. Then she turns her head to look at the back of the class, and focusses on the table next to Lauren, which is empty. Camila turns her head back to her teacher, looks down again, and starts walking to the empty desk.

‘’Camila, if you don’t tell me why you are late this instant, I’m going to have to send you to the principal’s office.’’ Mrs. Grace calls after her. Camila just keeps walking and puts her bag down on the table.

Lauren looks over at Camila to try and get a glimpse of her face, since she was turned to Lauren to grab her books out of her bag. Camila turns her head to her teacher again, making half eye contact with her, before turning her attention back to her bag.

Mrs. Grace sighs loudly and appearantly decids to continue her lesson and ignoring Camila’s behavior.  While Camila was getting her books out of her bag, Lauren could see the underside of her eyes. She tries to take a better look by leaning a little bit closer, and sees a small line of dark brown.

After all those years, Lauren just wants to see her eyes completely. So she leans a little more to the side, when Camila’s eyes shoot up and pierce right through her.

Lauren jumps slightly in her seat, her eyes widen and her heart starts hammering in her chest loudly. She barely holds back a gasp, but she can't look away from her.

Camila stops moving and just looks at Lauren from under her hood. She holds her gaze strongly, and she can see the fear in the girl’s eyes. Lauren feels vulnerable. It's like Camila can see right through her, and that is frightening.

After what feels like hours, Camila breaks the eye contact between them by looking down again. Lauren takes in a deep breath because she seemingly forgot to do that with Camila looking at her for the first time. She was only able to see the girls eyes, and not even completely. She only saw the dark pupils looking back at her strongly, confidently, but the rest of her face was still covered by her hood.

Lauren looks at her slightly shaking hands and tries to focus on her breathing. She looks back at her teacher, who clearly missed their short interaction, and tries to pay attention to what she was saying.

Camila doesn’t look up once. She keeps her eyes firmly on her book and curses herself for letting somebody see her eyes and looking back at the girl. She has no idea who the hell that girl was, but she does know that she doesn’t want to find out.

------------------------------------------

‘’Lo, why are you so quiet? Normally you’re telling me all about your last class or some book you’ve read. Whaddup gurl?’’ Dinah asks teasingly. Lauren just shrugs.

‘’I don’t know DJ, I guess I’m just a bit off…’’ she answers. She looks up at Dinah when she hears her start laughing.

‘’Why are you laughing?’’

It takes Dinah a few moments to try and stop her laughter but she finally turns to Lauren. ‘’Lo, I just think it’s extremely funny that you’ve been off ever since you saw that Cabello girl before lunch. Really Lo, you’re so easy to read, you’re like an open book to me!’’

Lauren feels her cheeks getting warm slowly. She hoped she was being subtle about it, but she should have known that Dinah always notices everything.

‘’Well, I can’t help it that she fascinates me.’’ Lauren tries to shoot back at Dinah, which only makes the girl laugh even harder.

‘’Lauren... fascinated? It’s getting worse with you every day huh? Tomorrow you’ll be telling me that you’re in love with that girl!’’ Dinah says loudly.

Lauren tries to hush her quickly, because there were other people around them at the parking lot. She doesn’t want any of them to find out about her crush on Camila. Those people don’t even know her, or that she likes girls as well as boys.

Dinah’s laughter finally dies down when they reach Lauren’s car, and she quickly gets in the passenger’s seat, claiming dramatically that she was tired. Lauren just smiles and shakes her head at the girl’s silliness.

Lauren walks over to the driver’s seat and openes the door when she feels somebody looking at her. She turns her head quickly to see if her feeling was right or if she was just being ridiculous. Lauren turns back again to get in the car because she didn’t see anybody, when she sees a flash of dark blue in the corner of her eye.

She quickly turns back and sees Camila leaning against her car. She has her arms crossed, one foot against the car door and the other one firmly on the ground. She has her head down, has her hood on and watches Lauren under the edge of it.

Lauren looks at Camila’s eyes, but she is too far away to actually see them, or to see if they were looking at her. But she still feels goose bumps rise up on her arms, and her breathing is off again as she looks at her.

Then Camila pushes herself away from her car and turns around to get in the driver’s seat. Lauren stays frozen on her spot and watches her drive away while trying to stable her breathing and getting rid of the red color on her cheeks before Dinah notices.