Bad News - Chap. 8

Chapter 8

After Tyler had given Lauren a glass of water and tried to calm her down, they started walking downstairs together. Lauren is freaking out about Camila wanting to talk to her. A million questions are running through her head while she follows Tyler down the stairs.

What will she say? What does her voice sound like? Is she hurt? Does she even know who I am? Who were those guys Camila and Tyler were fighting earlier, and why were they here? Is she going to talk to her?

Lauren is getting a headache with all the questions that are consuming her thoughts right now, so she tries to focus on something else. She looks around. The house is pretty empty. There are no pictures on the walls, and there are several leaking spots on the ceiling. Lauren wonders if Camila’s parents have a job at all, seeing as this house will most likely collapse in a few months’ time.

She wonders if the bed she just woke up in is Camila’s bed or maybe one of her sibling’s. If she even has any brothers or sisters. Lauren is struck again with the fact that she really doesn’t know anything at all about the girl who is currently waiting for her. The thought that she slept in Camila's bed alone, gives her butterflies.

She sighs when they enter the small kitchen. Tyler stops walking and turns back to Lauren, who is following him closely. ‘’She’s outside.’’ He says, while pointing at the back door behind him with a calming smile. She sighs, she's glad that he somehow gets her to calm down at least a little bit.

Lauren nods. She takes a few steps towards the door and places her hand on the handle. Then she turns to Tyler again, uncertainty clear in her eyes. ‘’W-what do I say to her? I-I mean, I’ve never talked to her before.’’ She stammers, her nerves clear for him to see.

Tyler walks up to her and puts a comforting hand on her shoulder. ‘’I know Camila isn’t that much of a talker, but just hear what she has to say.’’ he answers simply, squeezing her shoulder in support.

Lauren sighs once again, and nods weakly. She turns back around, opens the door and steps out. Tyler closes the door behind her to give them some time together. She looks around the small back yard and sees her. Camila is sitting in the grass, her back leaning against a small concrete parapet. Her right leg is stretched out on the grass, while her left one is being pulled up to her chest. Her left arm resting calmly on her knee while her right hand is shoved deeply into her pocket. And of course, she has a dark grey hood on, preventing Lauren once again from seeing her face.

Lauren takes in a deep breath and slowly starts making her way towards the girl. She holds her right arm in her left hand uncertainly and looks down bashfully. She comes to a halt a few feet away from Camila, and looks up at her carefully.

Camila doesn’t move and keeps looking down. She doesn’t even seem to notice Lauren standing right next to her. Lauren is not sure what to do. Should she sit down next to her, or just stay right where she is? She doesn’t want to upset the girl, knowing how fast Camila can hurt somebody if they do something she doesn’t appreciate.

After a few agonizingly long minutes, Lauren is about to clear her throat to try and get the girls attention, when Camila pulls her hand out of her pocket and softly pats the space next to her on the grass. Lauren gets the hint, and hesitantly sit down next to her.