Bad News - Chap. 37

Chapter 37

Lauren woke up the next morning in a daze. She couldn’t make herself to open her eyes just yet, and she cuddled closer into the warm body beside her. She inhaled deeply and recognized the scent of Camila. She smiled to herself, happy to wake up with her girlfriend still holding her.

Somewhere during the night, Lauren must have turned around in Camila’s arms. She was on her other side now, her head on Camila’s shoulder and her arm draped over her stomach. Camila’s arm was still under her neck and over her shoulders, while the other one held Lauren close to her by her waist.

That’s when the memories of last night came flooding back to Lauren’s mind. How she told Camila about her talk with Ally, and how mad she got after that. Then there was Camila’s story about Bobby and Ally. Lauren still shuddered when she thought about everything they put Camila through. At her age.

Nobody deserved to have to live through that. Especially not a child, who had already lost so many things in life. Lauren could only imagine how bad Camila must have felt. So unimportant, so worthless, how Bobby made her feel ugly and told her she was only good enough for him to lose his frustrations on.

Lauren could understand why Camila hid herself away all those years in school. She could understand it perfectly. The girl walked around, thinking she was useless, ugly, and simply nothing good. She was surprised to know that Camila had let her in eventually. Now she understood why Tyler and Ally said that Lauren must be special to Camila, because she never lets anybody in.

Lauren sighed. She only hoped that she could be good enough for Camila. Hoped that she could help to make her feel good about herself again. Lauren hoped that she could make Camila feel loved again.

It was silent in the room. The only sound being heard, was Camila’s soft breathing. Small rays of sunlight peeked through the partly closed curtains, giving the bedroom a beautiful soft glow. Lauren lifted her head to look at the time, and saw that they had to get up for school.

She looked at Camila’s still closed eyes and leaned down to kiss her slightly parted lips softly. She gently took Camila’s arm that was around her waist and lifted it up. She tried to move out of Camila’s grip so she could make them some breakfast, but the second she moved away from Camila, the girl’s arm was back around her waist.

Camila’s grip tightened on her and she turned her head to bury it in Lauren’s neck. She mumbled a sleepy ‘’Stay’’ in Lauren’s hair and Lauren couldn’t help the smile that crept on her face. Camila was still sleeping, and it made Lauren happy to know that Camila didn’t want her to leave her, even in her sleep.

Lauren kissed her cheek softly and moved her kisses over to her ear. ‘’Camz?’’ she whispered. But Camila didn’t react, her breathing still slow and even, and her eyes still closed. Her head had moved from Lauren’s neck to her chest and her grip on her girlfriend became even stronger. Lauren smiled and moved her hands up to the sides of Camila’s face.

‘’Camz?’’ she tried again, a little louder this time. ‘’Wake up baby.’’ She trailed her fingers softly over Camila’s face, caressing the burned skin gently. Camila leaned in to her soft touch, but still had her eyes closed. ‘’Camz, we have to wake up.’’ Lauren said again.