chapter seven ➸ newborn army

CHAPTER SEVEN

IT WAS DARK OUTSIDE, THE MOON ALREADY MAKING ITS APPEARANCE

All of the pack had left the cabin hours ago, it was only Ingrid and Paul that remained. Katerina had left with Embry to get to know him, Jared had left to go and see his imprint, and everyone else had gone home.

Ingrid was in the shower while Paul was in their bedroom. His knee constantly bouncing up and down, he was troubled about not only the upcoming battle tomorrow but also about Ingrid. What had happened earlier in the day hadn't left his mind. Vampires couldn't get sick, Ingrid told him not to worry, but he couldn't help it. As Paul was consumed by his thoughts, Ingrid had just gotten out of the shower and in the process of dressing in her pajamas.

 As Paul was consumed by his thoughts, Ingrid had just gotten out of the shower and in the process of dressing in her pajamas

She knew that he was concerned about her, she could practically taste the anxiety radiating off of him. Ingrid strolled out of the bathroom and made her way onto the bed behind Paul. She could tell that he wasn't aware of her presence so she scooted towards the end of the bed and wrapped her arms around his waist from behind while placing a kiss in the crook of his neck. He stiffened under her touch and soon relaxed after he realized it was her.

Ingrid buried her head into his neck while brushing her lips against his skin. "Penny for your thoughts?" Her voice soft. Paul sighs and turns around, looking into her eyes and swiftly envelopes her in his arms. "Paul?" Although Ingrid was confused by his actions, she returned the embrace. "Is this about the fight tomorrow?" She felt him shake his head no. "It's about what happened earlier, isn't it?" She whispered.

Ingrid knew that when he didn't respond, she was spot on. She pulled back and placed her hand on his cheek, making him raise his head to look at her. His expression unreadable. Paul seemed to be contemplating something before suddenly crashing his lips to hers. Ingrid gasped in surprise and melted into the kiss. He started leaning her backward, then pulled back and started peppering kisses from her throat to her neck. She moaned when he started grazing his teeth along her clavicle.

He paused for a moment and withdrew from Ingrid's neck and looked at her face, admiring her. Her cheeks were flushed, lips slightly parted, and her eyes clouded.