chapter nine ➸ unexpected

CHAPTER NINE

INGRID LOOKS OFF INTO THE DIRECTION OF WHERE HER SIBLINGS AND KATERINA WENT IN, MAKING SURE THEY WERE FAR ENOUGH WHERE THE VOLTURI COULD NOT SEE NOR HEAR THEM

Bree stands next to her. Ingrid had talked to her during the fight and the young girl trusted her.

"They're here," Alice informs them. The Cullens gather into the center of the field, converging around Bella.

After Bella insulted her sister, Ingrid could care less about what happens to her, so she stands a few feet behind them with Bree. Bree holds Ingrid's hand for comfort.

They see nothing through the oily smoke from the fire, then everything pauses. They hear a flat female voice. "It appears you've done our work for us."

From out of the mist and the smoke emerge the Volturi - Jane, and behind her, Felix, Demetri, and Alec. Jane assesses the scene, taking in Bella, as well. When she lays eyes on the Original, she becomes nervous. She had heard rumors of Ingrid Mikaelson, she was the kindest but also the deadliest, and that was saying a lot compared to her twin.

She shakes off her nerves and continues talking. "Impressive, I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this magnitude."

"We were lucky," Carlisle responds.

"I doubt that."

Alec speaks up. "It appears we missed an entertaining fight, sister."

"Yes. It's not often we're rendered unnecessary."

"If only you'd arrived a half-hour earlier, you could have fulfilled your purpose here," Edward says.

Jane remains emotionless. "Pity." She then sees Bree crouching by Ingrid and seems pleased. "You missed one."

"We offered her asylum in exchange for her surrender." Carlisle tries to persuade Jane not to kill her.

"That wasn't yours to offer."

As Jane moves to Bree, Esme shoots Carlisle a concerned look. Carlisle subtly shakes his head, don't. Ingrid stays on guard, shooting Bree a reassuring look. "Why did you come?" Before Bree can answer, Jane focuses her power, sending an invisible searing current through Bree's body. Bree screams in pain. Bella flinches. Esme quickly steps up.

"They came to destroy us, to kill Bella."

Jane ignores Esme, continues her torture, enjoying it.

Ingrid attempts to wait as long as she can to prevent a conflict with the Volturi, grinding her teeth, she's angry at herself for having to watch Bree in pain.

"Who created you?"

"You don't have to do that. She'll tell you anything you want to know."

"Oh, I know."