chapter seventeen ➸ unknown sensation

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

IT HAD BEEN A MONTH SINCE INGRID WAS CAPTURED BY ARO

A month since Paul couldn't control his anger due to the loss of his imprint.

And a month since the rest of the Mikaelson's, Hayley, Davina, Keelin, and Vincent included, gathered in Washington. Bonnie arriving only a few days after the rest.

Ingrid was huddled in a corner along with her parents, they had been planning an escape since their encounter with Aro.

Esther had apologized for her actions that had almost led her and her siblings to their deaths and although it took some time, Mikael and she were on good terms as well. She had revealed to them both that no matter how many times she battled them, she always thought of them as still her parents.

It was around that time of day when Jane would be sent down. Ingrid learned that if you annoyed the vampire enough that she would lash out at you, and that was their plan.Mikael would try to get under her skin, question her pride and stroke her ego while Esther and Ingrid would be there the second Jane slips up.

Footsteps could be heard echoing throughout the room.

The three nodded their heads to each other and prepared themselves.

Jane walked through the door, the same cold expression displayed, a tray of food in her hands. She slides the tray under the gate of the cell and Mikael speaks up before she can leave.

"You really are a coward, aren't you girl." He doesn't question but states it. Jane whips around, her features still stony but her eyes tell another story full of rage. She doesn't reply, she just stares at him until he backs off. "He'll never notice you. Why else would he have you fulfill a servants duty?"

As Jane is distracted by Mikael, Esther attempts to use what little magic she has to retrieve the key hanging on the hook while Ingrid stays in front of her, shielding her actions.

Unfortunately for them, Jane notices movement out of the corner of her eye and in a flash, the key is within her grasp. "You shouldn't have done that." She walks over to the other side of the room and picks up a stoker then quicker than the speed of light throws it towards Esther.

"NO!" Ingrid pushes her mother out of the way and takes her place.

Esther and Mikael's eyes widen. "INGRID!"

Paul is cooling off outside, his eyes focused on the ground as images of Ingrid pass through his mind. He sighs. Dammit... Where the hell are you?

His emotions of longing are replaced by fear and determination instantaneously. He furrows his brows wondering why he felt that way when he immediately recalled that when an imprintee is in danger, the imprinter will feel what they are feeling at that specific moment.

His head shoots up and he sprints back into the 'pack house' when all eyes turn on him.

"Ingrid's in danger."

That one sentence turned everything upside down, everyone's minds assuming the worst.

"INGRID!" Mikael and Esther yell.

Everything becomes slow motion and when the stoker is about to puncture her stomach, a current of wind blocks it. The stoker reverses its position and heads toward Jane like a boomerang and she is impaled. She shouts in both surprise and pain.

Ingrid looks down at her stomach disbelievingly, and then to her parents that are sighing in relief.

"Did this happen when you were pregnant with any of us?" Ingrid asks her mother.

"No." She replies in astonishment. "To be able to do magic inside the whom, your children will be powerful." Esther finishes, a smile of awe appearing on her face.

Mikael looks at both of them, "Magic aside, how are meant to escape?"

Esther locks eyes with her expecting daughter. "Try to do magic."

"But I'm not a witch."

"You may not have magic but if they were able to do magic through you..."

"Then I should be able to tap into their magic..." She concludes, understanding laced in her voice.

"I don't have enough magic to cast this spell, but you may. Now repeat after me. Patent portae spatium."

Ingrid closes her eyes in concentration, "Patent portae spatium." After saying the spell, it's like the life is draining out of her as she staggers, Mikael holding her up. Something was off, Ingrid felt different but it wasn't the time to dwell on her unknown sensation that coursed through her body.

Wind twists and turns throughout the room and a rift opens.

Jane succeeds in ridding herself of the stoker and chucks it towards them, it soars and is about to hit Ingrid once again when Mikael jumps in the way out of instinct and is then swallowed into the void with Ingrid and Esther. Jane screams, furious that they disappeared on her watch. She could only imagine what Aro would do to her as her punishment.