chapter nineteen ➸ a night of reassurance

CHAPTER NINETEEN

SILENCE. All talking ceased at the revelation of Ingrid's immortality having vanished.

She looked out into space, her body tense, completely unaware of the worried looks she was receiving. Paul paid attention to every single move she made, but her face was blank. If he hadn't seen the shock and confusion in her eyes, he would not have been able to read her emotions.

He pulls her body into his chest and she melts into his embrace. "Wanna go home?" He whispers into her ear. She silently nods, burying further into his warmth. Paul glances at the others, gesturing that they were going to leave and they provide him with reassuring smiles and nods. He lifts her up and walks to his truck.

When they drive away, Freya is bombarded with questions from the shifters, but she and her siblings continue to gaze at the parents that they thought had been dead.

Paul is still carrying Ingrid when they make it into their bedroom. He peers at her face, "Why don't you take a shower?" He offers.

Ingrid nods, unwraps her arms from him and heads towards the bathroom.

Paul watches her from behind and is unable to wipe the grin off his face knowing that his imprint and his children were now safe and at home. But he is unable to erase the concern he holds for her regarding her vampirism.

As the water runs, Ingrid's head is directly under the shower head.

Thoughts are consuming her mind.

How is any of this possible? Is this permanent? Temporary? What about Nik...?

Anytime their siblings would go off on their own, Ingrid was the one to always stay by Klaus' side. Always backing him and making sure he didn't have time to feel lonely in her presence.

Tears fall down her cheeks but are not seen thanks to the water already cascading down her body. She wipes her eyes and continues to wash herself of the dirt and grime that had tainted her peach-colored skin while she was trapped in the cell that Aro kept her in.

Ingrid strolls out of the bathroom, her sight landing on Paul, who is laying down on his side of the bed, his arms spread open for Ingrid as he glimmers at her out of the corner of his eye

Ingrid strolls out of the bathroom, her sight landing on Paul, who is laying down on his side of the bed, his arms spread open for Ingrid as he glimmers at her out of the corner of his eye. Although she's troubled by the newfound information they were given at Sam and Emily's, she can't help but smile at the sight of her love.

She runs to the bed and jumps landing on top of Paul, peppering his face and neck with kisses showing him how much she missed his presence as he does the same to her.

Paul captures her lips with his in a desperately sweet kiss. "I missed you." He says between kisses and he can feel her lips curve upwards. "I missed all three of you."

They break apart, gazing into each other's eyes.

"We missed you, too." Ingrid responds, tears gathering in her eyes ready to pool down her rose-tinted cheeks and a hand on her stomach.

His eyes work themselves down and he gawks at her slightly protruding stomach, Paul never expected her to be showing at all but he guessed that being pregnant with twins meant her stomach would be growing at a more accelerated rate. He lays his hand over hers and entwines their fingers together, grinning like an idiot.

Paul stops his ogling and raises his head, brown meeting blue. He takes his unoccupied hand and caresses her cheek, she leans into his palm.

"I love you." His nose nudging hers.

"I love you, too."

They share one last kiss before they cuddle together, falling into a peaceful slumber. After all, neither of them had been sleeping well for the past month.

Klaus keeps his distance from the castle that's being engulfed in flames.

"No one hurts my family and gets away with it." He states, his voice firm and his trademark devilish smirk in place.