Chapter 14

After sitting there for awhile to clear your mind, you continued to explore til you grew tired and just wandered off back to the living room. You see Sally asleep on the couch, her head laying on a couch pillow with a blanket wrapped around her.

Hearing a crackle of something, looking over to see the fireplace going and tilted your head. Was that always on?

'How long was I out? Where is that-'

In an instant, you turned around and put your elbow to the person's throat and they put something to yours, cold, and sharp. You stayed quiet and so did they. Not moving a muscle.

It was what you could tell at least, someone dressed in all black, a hoodie maybe? Black sl-

A bead of sweat trickled down the side of your face, the blue mask, was lifted up slowly by what you think is multiple dark blue or grey like tongues. It was, unnerving and slightly disgusting to say the least.

It made your stomach churn and bile almost risen to your throat, but you forced it down and kept your guard up.

"EJ, leave him be." The familiar voice of the woman behind them made you almost relieved, if not for the man or creature not moving to look at her. They hissed deeply and stayed still, til the woman grabbed a hold of their arm and forced it away.

Getting a good look at them and their weapon, it was a clean and newly sharpened scalpel. You felt something warm trickle down your throat and you placed your hand up to it, only to wince. Yeah, definitely sharpened.

"He made the first move, I was defending." A husky voice brought you out of it and looked up.

"I don't like people standing behind me." You hear the woman snicker and watched as she placed a hand on her hip. "Well now he knows, don'tcha Jackie?"

She giggled and now what you can call a man, let out a growl at her then turned to you. His mask slowly sliding back on and the tongues pulled back and no where to be seen.

"What did I say about the names?" She smiled with her lids half opened and that devious look in her eyes. "May I remind you that we're all family here, Jackie?" Hearing him let out a louder growl was enough to make you know it isn't gonna go well.

"Guys, let's just stop this, it isn't going to get anywhere obviously. It was my fault anyways, let's leave it at that." They both stop to look at you before looking at each other, they hummed before walking away to go do their things.

You looked up to see it was 12:25, so you just decided to sit on the couch beside the still surprisingly sleeping Sally. You chuckled quietly and just pet her head, then running your fingers through her hair but careful not to go through any knots.

She snuggled closer to you and curled. You couldn't stop the smile from creeping up onto your face. You quietly watched her til she shifted in her spot. She looked up at you and smiled tiredly, couldn't even stop herself to not yawn.

"Daddy, how long was I asleep?" She asked softly, though her voice kind of croaked a bit, must be dry. Poor girl.

"I have no idea, maybe for an hour or two." She nodded and laid against your side, closing her eyes again. "Where's Clocky?"

Turning to face her and ruffle her hair softly, "She went off somewhere, maybe busy." She nodded again and looked at her now messy braid.

"Aww! It looked really nice though!" She crossed her arms in a pout and puffed out her cheeks, in other words, she looked adorable. If you said that to her then she'd go off on you about it.

You struggled to hold back a chuckle and just smiled. "It's ok, we can ask her later about fixing it right back up." She seemed to think about before being content with your answer and leaning back against your side.

"Besides, we need to look for her anyway, I got some questions about this place and if we can go back to the house." She hugged your side and hid her face in it.

"Ok." You heard her muffle into the fabric of the shirt before drifting back to sleep again, to which you fixed the blanket around her. You leaned your head back with a sigh and just thought about everything that's happened.

So what you get from here is that this place is like an odd family. Well, so far. They kinda act like one and from what happened that morning made you uneasy.

With the whole manor of being wanted people, this place it's far from any other place. Not including yourself, you're nothing compared to what lies in these people. Even if it does look innocent.

This is one messed up situation you got yourself in and all you wanted was to just spend some time with Sally. It wasn't too much to ask for.

Plus, the situation has gotten you very much emotional and just down right depressed. Will you ever go home? Are you and Sally are in actual danger? Is this some kind of trick to get you into some more trouble then you already are?

The questions just kept spinning around in your head, not having enough time to process and answer them. It almost made you weak, cry, and even sick to your stomach at these questions.

Will you get caught? That was the question that made you freeze and all other questions that surrounded you, faded. It was as if nothing else was important, that right there.

Sure, Sally was your child but at the moment, thinking about your loss and how she would react or how she would do. That alone didn't set well either.

So you just let your head rest, dropping the questions for the moment so you can think of something else. Something less negative about all of this.

So the first thing that popped up in your mind was..

School.

"Shit."