Chapter 9

Colby's POV

We pulled up to the apartment building my mom was supposedly living at. Sam grabbed my hand.

"You ready?" I nodded. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze then we got out of the car. "What floor?"

"3 I think." We went up to the 3rd floor & she was one of the first doors you see. I reluctantly knocked on the door. I took my hand from Sam's & crossed my arms across my chest. She answered a few seconds after I knocked.

"Colby! Oh my God! You're here!" She hugged me. I didn't move.

"I just came here to see if you were doing okay & to tell you that Sam & I are dating. Okay Sam I did it can we leave?"

"Wait, Colby. Y-You just got here. Don't you want to stay for a little bit?"

"We should really get home. I have to practice & I have homework & its my turn to cook tonight so thats gonna take awhile." I heard Sam chuckle behind me. I turned around & walked out.

Sam's POV

"Look hes going through some hard times." I said in reassurance.

"No. He hates me." She said wiping her tears.

"Sam come on please." Colby called from the hallway.

"He doesn't." I said as I walked down the hallway. We went in silence down to the car & got in. I had my  hand on Colby's upper thigh. When we pulled into the driveway we sat there for a minute.

"Look Colby I ge..........." I was cut off by Colby slamming his lips into mine. I was moving as close to him as I could when I accidentally hit the horn.

"Damn it." He mumbled under his breath. We got out of the car & we headed inside. We had got Colby into his own room but he was mostly in mine while we did homework. Sometimes he slept in here with me as well. We went into my room to start on our homework & maybe practice a bit before Colby had to make dinner. We were working on Chemistry when I decided to talk.

"Colby, whats going on? We were in such a good place now I feel like your pushing me away." He didn't answer. He took my book from my hands & placed it on the floor along with his. He sighed.

"I just miss you." He said crawling over closer to me.

"Colby, I can tell somethings bothering you." I layed my head on his shoulder & he layed his head on mine. He kissed the top of my head.

"I'm sorry. I've just had a lot on my mind. My dad's funeral was last week."

"Colby. I'm sorry. You should've went."

"I did. Everyone talking about how great of a guy he was. It was horrible. Gage was there." He sighed the last part.

"Who's Gage?"

"My brother."

"I didn't know you had a brother." I sat up & looked at him.

"Hes almost 4 years older then me. He was one of the only ones who acted like he supported me. When I left he turned his back on me & I hadn't heard from him. He was saying how he was such a good man. & took care of his family." I wanted to go up there & tell everyone the truth."

"Why didn't you?" I asked grabbing his hand.

"I don't like attention. Why draw it to myself?" My heart ached for Colby. Hes been coming out of his shell so much lately but when his parents showed up on Christmas he clammed up again.

"Colby. What can I do to help you be comfortable around me again?"

"I'm not sure. I'm sorry."

"No no no! Don't apologize. I wasn't trying to make you sorry. I just want to help." I wiped a few tears from his cheeks. He buried his face in the crook of my neck & started to ball. "Shhh. Its okay. Come on I'll help you make dinner tonight." After a few minutes he calmed down. We walked into the kitchen & got out all the ingredients out to make hot dogs crescents. Its easy. We cooked them & plated them for everyone. I took Mom her ones. Shes on bed rest because we don't let her do anything. I walked in her room & she was asleep. I just sat down her plate & I was about to wake her up when I heard a big bang come from the kitchen along with a yell of pain.