Six

Kota

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Kota

My phone buzzes in my pocket as Mr. B finally responds to my update.

"Thank you for the update, I am on my way back already. From my understanding, we are searching the United States for a small blonde seen only in through windows. She will be abused in some way and singing. I will inform you all of the news of the meeting upon my arrival. ETA: 15 min."

Nodding absently, I quickly reply to let him know that I received his text and slide my phone back in my pocket.

Walking into the kitchen, I find Luke and North who are arguing over what Luke is allowed to eat and Silas and Gabriel who are already eating.

"Save some food for Mr. B, he is on his way. We will have a family meeting in fifteen minutes to discuss what went down at his meeting. Got it?"

Seeing the nods, I smile in thanks and head to find Victor and Nathan.

Neither are in their room, so I head to the large room in the back that Victor uses to play the piano. Sure enough, he is hunched over and playing a new piece. It is incredible, even I can see that and I am not really fond of classical music or really music in general. If listening to music at all, I like music with only a clear rhythm, something that I can count along with.

Gently, I clear my throat and announce, "Family meeting in fifteen minutes."

At the first sound, Victor abruptly stops and whirls around, his fire eyes wide.

"Oh! Kota, I-I didn't know you were there!" He exclaims, looking around, trying to gain his bearings.

I furrow my brow and count his fingers to help me think this through. Victor never acts like this when he is found playing a piece. Victor is quite used to playing in front of audiences, he is, after all, quite famous as a musician.

"Victor, is something wrong?" I ask, confused by his strange behavior.

Victor opens his mouth to say something before slumping. Sighing, he says, "It's nothing, really. I guess I just got lost in the music."

I nod, even though he is lying. He is doing a remarkable job of lying, too. I only know it isn't true because I have seen him lost in his music before and he never acts like that when startled out of it.

"Well, like I said, family meeting in about ten minutes now," I say, deciding not to call him on his lie. Whatever his reasoning, I hope he can tell me about it on his own.

"Thanks, Kota, see then," Victor says pushing his wavy brown hair back and touching his silver medallion, a motion that shows he is clearly trying to collect himself.

Turning on my heel, I exit the room, shaking my head to clear my racing thoughts. Finally, I head down to the garage where I am confident that I will be able to find Nathan there. And I do.

Inside the garage, Nathan is bench pressing a remarkable amount of weight, clearly more than his own. His face is almost as red as his hair and sweat pours down his face, but he continues relentlessly.

Quickly I stand behind him to spot him.

Seeing me, Nathan grunts, "Kota, what are you doing in here?"

I snort, "What I'm not allowed to be in the garage now?"

Nathan puts the weights back and looks at me.

"Sorry, I guess I am just worried that we won't find Ghost Bird. Or that we won't find her in time. That this will all just be for nothing," Nathan mutters, wiping the sweat from his face with a white towel.

I sit down on the bench across from him and count the weights.

"Nathan, I feel the exact same way," I start and his head shoots up, his bright blue eyes surprised. "We all do, don't look so surprised. We can't think that way. We will find Ghost. Do you know why?"

Nathan hesitates before shaking his head.

"We will find Ghost Bird because we need to. She is in trouble and we can and will help her. We are the Blackbourne team and there is nothing that can stop us from finding this bird."

***

Victor

I press my palms into my eyes just hard enough to feel the pressure and sigh. Sliding my hands up, I push the hair out of my face and touch the silver medallion on my chest. Mother gave it to me when I was younger, a rare genuine gift from my parents.

Honestly, I don't know why I lied. At the same time, I would do it again. That song wasn't an ordinary song or another one of my compositions to get my father, George, off my back. George is the reason why I am a musician. He pushed me into it when he saw that I had a natural talent for the piano. He demands perfection, something that is rare in music. Anything less than perfection used to result in a beating.

Now, I live with my brothers. These eight are my brothers, not by blood but by choice. Since meeting them and joining the Academy, much has changed. Mr. Blackbourne has helped me and dealt with George. He now leaves me alone so long as I keep producing music and giving him the money that he wants. I would cut him off and leave him in the dust or turn him in for child abuse, but I can't. The Academy puts my position to use. As a famous and well-known musician, I can get into certain places that the others can't.

The song that I was playing was different than any of the songs that I had ever played.

It was for Ghost Bird.

Her songs inspire me, they make me feel as if she knows exactly what I am going through and how I am feeling. As if we fit together like two pieces together. I would love to write a composition with her when we find her. I can only imagine what it would sound like, however, I know that it would be incredible as long as we are together.

Standing up, I close my eyes, composing myself and steeling myself to do whatever it takes to find Ghost Bird.

I open my eyes and stride out of the room, ready to find Bird.