Twenty-Five

"Here," Cleopatra says, handing me a bag of clothes. "Go get changed and then we're heading to the food court. I'm hungrier than a llama."

I wrinkle my brow at the unfamiliar expression before shrugging. I guess it is just another thing that I will have to learn.

"Skipping breakfast was the worst decision I could've made," Cleopatra groans loudly. "At least we haven't run into Jade."

Skipping one meal is bad? I am learning all sorts of thing from Cleopatra. Silently, I change quickly and then follow Cleopatra out of the store. Swallowing hard, I see how many people are in the food court area outside.

"Sit down here," Cleopatra orders. "I'm going to go order. Do you have any preferences or allergies?"

"Umm... No?" I answer hesitantly, confused.

Cleopatra heads off into the crowd and I quickly lose sight of her. Biting my lip, I look out at the teeming sea of people, ducking my head when they return my curious stare.

"Hey, girl," A guy says, leaning over me, getting far closer than comfortable.

His breath fans over me, enveloping me in the scent of his cigarettes.

"Wanna get out of here with me?" He says. "'Cuz you look like you need to have a good time. Get a little dirty, babe."

"N-No," I stutter, my eyes widening.

"Oh? You like to play it hard to get, then?" He leans in even closer. "You keep playing, girl. I'm happy to play with you any time."

I lean as far away from him as possible, but he only gets closer, a leering smile spreading across his face as he reaches for me.

I have lived my whole life in one house, abused by Mother, never leaving. I just got away from Mother. I was sold. I am about to join a gang. Nothing in my life has been by my choice.

This is.

I refuse to be taken again, to be controlled or used.

Recalling all that I have read about action, fighting, and the human body, I slam my fist into his windpipe and my knee into his groin. He stumbles back and I take the chance to scramble away. Running, I dart into the sea of people.

I can't believe I just hurt someone. Trembling, I feel guilty but proud. I stood up for myself, I changed the game.

I wonder if this is how Mother felt every time she hurt me.

"Sang!" Cleopatra yells, spotting me and the situation. "Let's go!"

We run out of the building, and I am terrified out of my mind.

"Good, we made it," Cleopatra sighs, sliding into the car and tossing our bags in the backseat. "Fighting and killing him would have ruined my new clothes. And my hair. It might look like I wake up this naturally beautiful, but I actually put work into looking this perfect and stunning, darling."

Gawking at her, I say, "What? You would've killed him?"

"Of course," She answers with a shrug. "Killing bad people is not a problem. That creep deserves to die, this isn't the first time that he has cornered a girl alone. Killing Greg would be like showing him mercy. There are a lot of people that would love to see him tortured and in agony. Killing innocent people is the problem, which is why Kaiden bought you. Not only are you skilled, but it is clear that you are innocent and don't deserve to live as a cruel and disgusting man's toy."

Sitting back against the leather seat, I mull that over as Cleopatra starts the car and the engine roars to life.

"Ugh," Cleopatra groans. "I'm starved. I wasn't able to get us lunch."

"Are we going back now?" I ask, biting my lip.

"No, we are going to get some food," Cleopatra states firmly before lighting up. "And I know just where we can go."

Cleopatra peels out of the parking lot, burning rubber. Zooming down the highway, she swerves around all the other cars as they honk at us. Slamming the gears, the speedometer now reads close to one hundred and forty miles.

"Cleo! I'm pretty sure we're speeding!" I shout.

The yelling hurts my throat, but it is necessary to be heard over the wind and motor.

"I know! The speed limit is just a friendly suggestion!" She yells back.

"Isn't it illegal to speed?!"

"Not anymore, baby!" Cleopatra cackles. "Now we go as fast as we like and the law can't fucking touch us!"

Huh. I guess it is just another thing that I need to catch up on.

"Will I be allowed to learn how to drive?!" I shout.

Cleopatra looks at me, nearly hitting a car that races out of our warpath.

"Of course! You're going to learn a lot of things, Sang! We wouldn't want a weak link, after all! You are supposed to be our secret weapon!"

Surprisingly, I like the sound of that. I like feeling wanted and important. No one took the time to teach me how to read or write, I had to learn that on my own. I had to figure it how to cook and clean and all the other languages. I have always been on my own to figure things out.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a close family like the gang, but I love the idea of it.

Finally, we pull into the driveway of a restaurant. It is an elegant building that looks like it used to be something else, perhaps a church. The paint on the outside looks fresh and neat and the flower beds are immaculately weeded. The sign in front of it says that it is called Bob's Diner.

"Come on already," Cleopatra calls, hopping out of the car.

I slip out and follow her into the restaurant. A beautiful mural is painted across the first wall you see when you walk in. Slightly mesmerized, I stare at the mural, not noticing that Cleopatra is trying to find someone until I smell them and feel the air shift as they walk up.

Whirling around, I come face to face with a kind looking man with graying hair. Shock is written across his face as his brown eyes scan me. The expression quickly disappears, though, and is replaced by a look of kindness and warmth.

"Sang," Cleopatra announces. "Meet Uncle, the owner of this restaurant."

"I thought his name would be Bob?" I blurt.

"Well, Bob's your uncle," Uncle laughs. "Isn't that the saying?"

"Anyway," Cleopatra interrupts. "I'm starved. Feed me. And her too."

"Come this way," Uncle calls, leading the way to a table. "Sit down and I'll get you your food and then we can talk."