Thirty-Six

Cecile opens the door.

"Changed your mind yet?"

I open my eyes and stand up. I spent the past hours sitting and thinking and then clearing my thoughts. I smile calmly at her.

"I will never become a killer."

"We'll see about that," She snarls, storming in.

Fire burns in my jaw as her massive fist slams into me and I am sent crashing backward. I rise to my feet and blink slowly, waiting for her to continue. With an agitated snarl, Cecile begins. I close my eyes and imagine that she is Mother. A small smile dances on my lips at the thought. I may hate Mother and her abuse, but I still love and miss her. She is, after all, my mother. My thoughts distracted, I hardly notice the beating. I feel the pain that burns through me, but I don't hurt the same way. My body is telling me that I am in pain, but my mind is distracted and I am calm.

I am at peace, for once.

When she is done, she leaves, slamming the door shut between us, and looks at me. Cecile scoffs, "Are you ready to give up yet?"

I spit blood and look at Cecile dead in her dark eyes.

"Please. I'm blind in one eye, missing a toe, and covered in scars from burns and cuts. I have broken countless bones. More than once, I've been stabbed so deeply that I had to cauterize my own wound. This little bit of 'torture' is nothing," I tell her, determination in my bones. With each word, I grow in confidence. "I will never be a killer. I don't fear death or pain. Bring it on, bitch."

Cecile sighs, "Dammit, I was wrong. I thought for sure it would take two days at the least, not a few hours."

"Did you hear any of that?" I ask, confused. "I'm not giving in."

"Oh, I know," Cecile laughs. "Unfortunately. I would've loved to continue, but I was supposed to stop when you showed some steel. A few people were pretty sure that you would break long before you showed some steel. In fact, there's a bet going on, much to Cleopatra's anger."

"A bet?" I echo.

"Yup. To see how long it took for you to show some spine. And you certainly have a lot more steel than people give you credit for, shy little Sang. I guess some stole the joy of breaking you down already. Now, let's get you to training. I have a lot planned," Cecile says with a crazed laugh. "The Wolves need their secret weapon ready."

An idea forms in my head. They need me to be their weapon. I need the boys, if Uncle is to be believed.

"No. I refuse to train," I tell her seriously.

"EXCUSE ME?!!" Cecile roars, once more furious.

"You heard me. If you want me to train, then you will find me those boys."

"What boys?" She scoffs. "Did you forget your toys?"

"No, the team, from..." I trail off as I try to remember the name that Uncle told me in my dream. I'm frustrated that I never got to even try the password. Triumphantly, I finish, "The Academy!"

"You know the Academy?" Cecile hisses, drawing near.

"No, I just know that I need those boys," I say firmly.

Cecile studies me. Seeing my steel, she nods. "I'll see what I can do, Sang. But you will never work for the Academy, only the Wolves."

"Sure," I say, but only to appease her.

I don't know who or what the Academy is. However, I do know that I will not make any deals with this devil.

***

Owen

I sit, ramrod straight, my face completely devoid of anything resembling emotion. Folding my hands, I absently rub the scar on the back of my hand.

From my own life, I know all too well how abuse can take a toll on someone, or even end their life. I cannot let Sang suffer anymore. I don't know what she has been through, but from what I have seen and what Wil has told us, she has been through hell.

The rest of the boys come in, taking their time. I want to snarl and yell at them, this is far too serious for them to just come shuffling along when they feel like it. But I don't, I maintain the illusion of perfection that I hold so dearly. I dread the day that illusion shatters.

"Sit down and stop talking!" I command, breaking for a second.

Startled, my brothers look to me and do as I say.

"Sang is gone," I tell them, trying to keep the dread and sorrow out of my voice.

"What?" Roars Gabriel.

"Owen? Is she really gone?" Sean breathes, his voice hitching on the word "gone."

Not able to get the words out, I give a small nod.

"How?! I thought people were watching her!" North explodes.

"She left in an extreme hurry, taken by the same woman who answered the door when we tried to reach her. They finally caught up when they were boarding a private plane. There was no time to stop them. Ghost Bird is, once more, a ghost," I explain stiffly.

"Is there any way to find them?" Asks Nathan.

I shake my head. "They are lost."

"Maybe we could find them again?" Victor suggests, his fire eyes dimming.

"I am sorry," I tell them honestly. "But I cannot find her, nor do I believe we will ever find her. We will just have to wait until they are ready to be found. I do not want to give up, only wait."

"We just were waiting!" Gabriel shouts. "And look at what happened!"

"This is different," North argues, taking my side. "There is literally nothing that we can do."

"No!" Gabriel roars. "There must be something!"

"There is not," I say sharply.

Silas stands and storms out of the room, startling us all into silence. North moves to follow him, but Sean stops him.

"He just needs space," Sean mutters. "We all do."

"Meeting dismissed," I announce flatly.

There is nothing more to say.

Slowly, the boys begin to leave the room until I am alone. I slump, abandoning my thinning illusion of control. Raking a hand through my short hair that is in need of a trim, I take my glasses off and pinch the bridge of my nose.

I have no clue what to do.

We have never met Sang Sorenson and the boys are already losing it. I can't imagine what would happen if we met her and then lost her after getting to know her. Would we even be able to handle that?

Straightening up, I lock up my emotions and stiffen a bit.

We will find Sang.

We will bring her to safety. We will make sure she never suffers again.

We will find our Ghost Bird. And we will save her.