Forty

I wake up slowly, disoriented and my head pounding. I tentatively touch my fingertips to the back of my head and wince as it pulses with pain.

"Angel, what happened to you?" Silas asks me in Greek, concern carved into his dark eyes.

"Cecile happened," I snort. "This is what she calls training."

"Yesterday, you mentioned you're being trained to be a secret weapon?"

I nod. "Yes, they believe that I could be useful. I don't know why."

"I think I know why," Silas says thoughtfully. "Because of how much you've been through and the strength and kindness you continue to display."

"Please," I laugh. "You don't know me. What makes you think I'm so strong and kind? Last night I cried all over you and didn't even apologize."

"I think the answer lies in your inquiry," Silas answers.

Before I can ask what he was talking about, Cleopatra makes a dramatic entrance.

There are bruises around her neck, deep blue in color. They are the bruises of someone who has been choked recently.

I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, I feel like she is responsible for me being here. She was the one that made it so I had to come. On the other hand, Cleopatra is not fully sane. She means well, I know that. How can I blame her? In her twisted head, she thinks this is all for the best.

"Behold! It is I, Cleopatra King!" She calls boisterously before muttering, "Now, what will entertain the kids and destroy a love..."

"What?" I ask confused, but she continues.

"I know! Why don't you two go to the library?" Cleopatra suggests with a proud grin.

"There's a library?!" I exclaim excitedly.

"Yup! Follow me!" Cleopatra calls, turning and walking off.

"Umm... Cleo?"

"Yes, Sang?"

"We're still locked up," I inform her awkwardly.

"Oh, yeah!" Cleopatra laughs.

She comes back and unlocks our cage. Hesitantly, I follow her through the maze of stone floors and steel walls. Cleopatra opens another metal door to reveal a large library. There are shelves and shelves packed with books, chairs for reading and a table for playing chess. Along one wall there are desks with papers and pencil. There are no windows, but there are many ceiling lights and lamps near every chair and table. The lights flicker every now and then, but it only adds to the charm. Everything is covered in a thick layer of dust, meaning that people rarely come here, perfect for some quiet. The furniture is even antique, judging by the gentle wear and tear.

With a wide grin, I shake myself out of my dazed stupor and dash off to look at the shelves. I grab a book here and there until my arms are full of them. Thinking quickly, I race to a table and dump them on a table and run back to look through the rest of the shelves.

"Don't you think you have enough there, Rosalinda?" Cleopatra laughs.

I look at her. "Rosalinda? Who's that?"

I glance around, but I can't see anybody apart from the three of us.

Cleopatra gives me a funny look that I can't quite understand. "Rosa, stop playing around. I'm going to go now. This door will be locked and cameras are watching so don't try anything."

She steps closer and puts her arms around me in an awkward hug. I can't help but stiffen up.

"Rosalinda, this isn't what I wanted. I want much better things for you. But, don't worry, I talked to Cecile and she won't be hurting you anymore," She murmurs.

"Good," I spit angrily. "Kaiden promised I wouldn't be hurt. He lied."

"Rosalinda!" Cleopatra gasps, pulling me back and gripping my shoulders as she stares into my eyes. "Don't speak like that! And Cecile didn't know about the promise; now, she does."

"Sure, Cleo," I mutter, looking down.

Cleopatra sighs, "I only want the best for you, Rosalinda."

Abruptly, she turns and leaves.

I drag a hand over my face as Silas approaches.

"Why did she call you Rosalinda?" He asks, confused.

"I don't know," I whisper, an ache in my chest.

I rub at my chest, over my heart, but it does nothing.

The pain is still there.

***

Luke

Hehehehe... He'll never know...

I pull out one of the bags of candy and stuff it in the grandfather clock in Mr. B's living room. Quickly, I place another one in an old bag of frozen peas. Then, I place another in a Ziploc bag and seal it so water will not get in. I take it into the bathroom and take the lid off of the tank of the toilet. Stuffing the bag in, I quickly replace the lid and rush off to the next hiding spot.

This time, I head for the old attic. Stuff is placed in piles everywhere. Somehow, the clutter looks neat and there isn't a spec of dust anywhere. There's one benefit of living with a perfectionist. The dust won't ever give away your tracks.

I slip a bag of candy under a pile that nearly topples over and kills me. Thankfully, I manage to catch the pile before anything falls. Using a crowbar, I pry up a floorboard in the corner under a rug and stuff my second to last bag of candy in there.

Exiting the attic, I race outside with a shovel. I head behind Mr. B's large house and dig a hole under the branches of a bush. I toss the bag in and shovel the dirt over top and smooth it over before arranging the branches so it looks like it never happened.

I put away the shovel and race inside right as my brothers begin to arrive for the family meeting.

I had gotten here first and made sure that I hid the candy.

I take my candy hiding very seriously.

Racing into the living room, I flop on the couch and pose as casually as possible.

"Hey, you guys," I say calmly as North, Nathan, and Gabriel enter. "I just got here."

North gives me a suspicious look and grunts, "And how did you get here without a ride?"

"Oh, you know, I was in the area," I answer vaguely as I drift off into a daydream about the several candy stores I raided.

"Where's Silas?" Sean calls tiredly, looking around.

"I haven't seen him since yesterday," North answers, taking a seat.

Kota interrupts, "Wait. Has anyone heard from him since he stormed out?"

Nervously, I look around at my brothers and realize that none of us have seen him.

"Track his phone, now!" Mr. B barks.

Victor pulls out his computer and starts clacking away at the keys.

"I can't," He says finally.

"What do you fucking mean?" Gabriel demands.

"His phone isn't giving off a signal. Either he doesn't want to be found, or his phone is destroyed," Victor responds. The look on his face shows that he believes it's the latter.

"Silas wouldn't hide from us!" North booms.

"Mr. Korba appears to be missing," Mr. B says. And, for once, he is showing emotion. Pure pain and terror.

Silas is our brother, our family.

And we have no clue where he is.

Kota and Mr. B start barking out orders to us as we prepare.

Our brother is missing.

Urgency fills me as I leave the house with North in search of Silas, of any clues.

We must find him.

We've already lost Sang; we can't take another loss.