Twenty-Eight

You all have 0AnonymousBookworm0 to thank for this double update!

***

Sang

"I said, how do you know that?" I reiterate.

Uncle swallows hard.

"Sang," He sighs. "You have a team of people trying to find you. They know who you are, they just want to make sure you are safe."

"And, we're done!" Cleopatra exclaims, standing up and shoving the last of her food in her mouth. "There isn't room for two crazies at this table. Bye bye."

Cleopatra grabs my wrist and tugs me toward the door. I turn and look at Uncle who is giving me an urgent look. Cleopatra, so focused on the door, does not notice as he slips the thumb drive into my hand. I stuff it into my pocket, unsure of what to do with it.

I pull my wrist free of Cleopatra's hand and follow her to the car. I slip in the passenger seat and am silent the whole ride back to the complex. The sound of my music fills the air as we race down the highway, going around a hundred thirty miles per hour.

"Your mouth is spewing lies.
The truth is in your eyes.
You truly do love it,
Each blow, hit, and taunt.
You cry and apologize,
But the truth is in your eyes.

"Don't lie to me,
I don't want your apology."

"Your full eyes are vacant and cold.
Do you even realize that's my throat you hold?
Blood covers the floor and paints the wall.
Go ahead, you've already broken it all.
I wish you would feel something.
I wish you would say something.

"An apology seems impossible now,
But it is all I want, somehow."

I wanted Mother to apologize. Now, I fear that I will never see her again. It is bittersweet. As cruel and terrible as she is, she is my mother, the only person that was always there for me. I don't know much more than Mother and her ways. She was my world for so long, I am not sure how I will carry on.

We arrive at the building and are quickly let in. The door is unlocked behind us.

"Finally!" Cleopatra moans. "All this work is making me need a nap. I'll be back in five to six hours. Maybe longer."

With that, Cleopatra slinks off, taking the bags of clothes with her.

I look around at the empty halls. Remembering the paths that I have already taken, I decide to go visit Prof. Maybe he can let me borrow a computer. This thumb drive is filling me with curiosity. What is on it? Why did Uncle find it so important to give it to me?

The curiosity gnaws at me as I make my way to the room where I last saw Prof.

Knocking lightly on the door, I push it open.

"Ah, Sang! It's great to see you!" Prof exclaims, using his clothes to wipe the chalk dust off his hands. "I need your help with a chemical compound. So you have any experience with them?"

Biting my lip, I answer, "Not really, but I have studied them."

"Good, good! Now, let's get you started!" Prof directs.

"Actually, I need something," I mumble.

Prof waves me off. "Anything."

With a smile, I ask, "I need a computer."

"A computer?"

Nodding, I bite my lip.

"You must understand that that is a security risk that I cannot take," Prof says seriously, causing my hopes to pummel down to earth. "Now, I need to close this computer right here, the one that the password is profrocks01, no capitals, and head to a late lunch. I'll be back in about an hour and we can go over the chemical compound then."

Grinning, I squeal, "Thank you so much, Prof!"

"Why are you so excited? Even I don't get that excited over chemical compounds," Prof replies with a wink.

Prof slips on his brown jacket and straightens his green and pink plaid bowtie before heading out the door. Whistling, he shuts the door behind him and heads into the hallway.

Quickly, I scramble to the computer. Jabbing and finger pecking at the keys, I put in the password and plug in the thumb drive. This computer is much newer and faster than the one that I used. Quickly, a folder comes up.

"For Ghost Bird," It reads.

My nerves all over the place, I select open. I don't know what will be in here. I don't know what I will learn. I don't know what this information will change. However, I do know that it is important.

I know that this is a game changer.

Maybe, I will finally have control over the board.

It does not open though.

Instead, a small window pops up, asking for a password.

A password?

Uncle never said anything about a password, he had no time to say anything like that. And now, I don't even remember what he said, I am so frantic and I was so startled when he was speaking.

Quickly, I tap out GhostBird. Then Sang. Then ghost. I try everything I can think of, but I can't figure it out. I have no clue.

I finally have the key.

But the key is locked.