Fifty-Four

EPILOGUE

"Sorenson! Wake up!" The harsh voice orders as he passes by my cell.

With a groan, I sit up, knowing the punishment would be brutal if I fell back asleep.

I clamber over to the bars of my cell and stick my hands through the slot. Quickly, the guards cuff my wrists and lead me to the line of other prisoners who are also being yanked out of their cells. We shuffle to the bathrooms. Quickly I do my business and use up as much of the icy water as I am allotted to shower. I shamble over to the mirror and glare at my reflection, hating it more than ever.

My green eyes are dull and my hair is buzzed to my scalp, just like everyone else's in this prison. My orange jumpsuit is so bright it is nearly blinding. I hate orange. What I hate most about my reflection, though, are my cheeks.

S. S.

Carved into my flesh.

Even after all these years, the scars have barely faded.

They are a permanent reminder that my own ungrateful, spoiled, bitch of a daughter beat me. I scream and slam my hands into the mirror. Through the shards, I see the inmates gathered behind me.

"Go ahead," I laugh drily. "Do whatever. I'm done with this shit anyway."

They grin at each other, needing no more incentive.

Death comes as an escape.

I know that I deserve it.

***

Just a short part with the death you readers asked for...

My new fanfic, After, is now being updated!