Twenty-Three

Sang

Sang

"I see you guys have been getting along well," Cleopatra remarks as she sashays into the room.

Prof jumps, dropping his chalk, clearly startled and frightened.

"Ahh... Cleo, good to see you," He greets her in an attempt to compose himself.

Cleo? Must be short for Cleopatra.

"So, did Sang pass?" Cleopatra asks hopefully.

"Pass?" Prof laughs. "PASS?!"

Now he is full on laughing, cracking up.

"Did... she... pass?!" He wheezes in between peals of laughter.

"I didn't take the test," I tell her honestly, nervous that I did something wrong.

Hopefully, she won't punish me for not taking the test.

Confused, she echoes, "You didn't take the test?"

Wiping his tears, Prof explains, "Sang is the smartest person I've met. As much as it pains me to admit, she is even smarter than me."

Cleopatra's eyes bug nearly out of her head as she gawks at me.

"Smarter than Prof? Do you know how smart you must be if he is freely admitting that?"

Blushing, I shake my head.

Cleopatra shakes her head and announces, "Well, I am here to take you to your next stop! We're going shopping!"

"We're leaving?" I ask incredulously.

They're going to let me leave?

"Well, duh. We can't have you wearing my old clothes forever and we don't have any stores here. What do you think we do all day? Sit around and sew leather jackets?" Cleopatra responds as if it is obvious.

"Umm... No?" I guess, biting my lip.

"Of course not!" Cleopatra cries, grabbing my wrist. "Now, let's go! We're burning shopping time! Go, go, go!"

"Goodbye!" I call over my shoulder to Prof as Cleopatra drags me off.

Together, we exit the concrete building and head to a black convertible with silver flames painted on it. Cleopatra slips in the driver's seat and the engine roars to life, making me confident that the muffler was removed so that it would be even louder. A familiar song pours out of the radio as we pull on to the road. It is all too familiar.

It is my song.

"Darling, I see your pain, your tears,

Your cries don't fall on deaf ears.

Wipe your face and stand,

Here, give me your hand.

You're too strong to sit and cry,