Forty-Three

Thank you to everyone who has made it this far in my book!!

"I am Ghost Bird. I am a member of the Wolves gang. Three months ago, I was locked in a house with my mother. I had only left that house and gone outside once in my entire life. My mother abused me every single day. I suffered physical, psychological, and verbal abuse on a daily basis. I am covered in scars, inside and out. The songs that I sing are the only thing that was able to get me through life.

"One day, my mother drugged me and we moved to a different place. There, I was sold in an auction where the Wolves rescued me. I am now their trained weapon. You don't need to know me who I am, but know that we are the same.

"Today, the Wolves are rising. Today, we rise with them. Today, we fight back. Today is the day to hurt those who hurt you every day. Today, we take back our lives. Do not cower in fear any longer. Strike back. People across the world are fighting back. Be strong for yourself and the others that hurt too. This is the day to fight for your life. Anyone who hurts you will pay.

"We are the oppressed. We are the hurt. We are the people who face horrors every day. If someone hurts you, make them pay. Join us in our victory against our oppressors. We will no longer be sheep. Today, we are Wolves!"

I stare at the screen and rub my stomach, trying to ease the discomfort. I know that this video, this call to action is wrong. But I can't fight with Cecile. I know all too well how that ends. I have grown powerful, incredibly powerful. I might even be able to beat Cecile herself in a fight, but I can't. In my mind, she has almost taken the place of Mother. Mother used to beat me, Cecile beats me. They may be completely different, but Cecile still reminds me of Mother. And I will never go against Mother and her wishes.

The girl in the video is strong with muscles corded on her pale arms. Her green eyes are intense and piercing. She sees you through the computer and right to your soul. Her blonde hair is pulled back into a braid like a warrior's. You can't really tell who she is, a red bandana covers the bottom of her face and she is decked out in white leather. She is a strong and fierce warrior who you never want to cross.

I'm pretty sure I am her, but I know that I am not. I am not strong; I may have become stronger physically, but I am weak and feel constantly as if I am on the verge of a mental breakdown. I am not fierce; I am sharpened by horrors. I have been crossed many times; I am tired of the constant struggles that I face.

Tearing my eyes from the screen, I shake my head. Cecile is calling for an uprising. A worldwide riot against anyone who has ever hurt you. Just because someone hurts you doesn't mean you have the right to hit them back. You don't get to kill those who hurt you. I hate this whole thing and I am terrified of what might happen because of it. But I can't say anything about it. A trained weapon of the Wolves would never be so "weak."

"We have one more piece of footage to shoot," Cecile declares.

I slump even further in my seat and repress a groan. It took three hours for me to give that short speech before Cecile accepted it. Besides, what more could we shoot?