Chapter 5 - A possible betrothal

Not long after the King's arrival, Aurelia was spending her time around Winterfell to make sure the preparations for the feast are well underway and everything is as expected since her mother was nowhere to be found. When she could not stand all of the chaos happening in the kitchens, Aurelia asked Maester Luwin where her mother. What she did not expect was that not only was she told that her mother was in her father's study, but that both her parents had summoned her there, and Aurelia could not figure out why.

Her anxiousness grew with each step she took. Her mind raced through a thousand scenarios that could happen once she arrives there. What could her parents possibly want to talk about? The only time she's been summoned by her parents in such a matter was when she ran away from Winterfell to watch the sunset over the hills. Aurelia didn't know how foolish it was until her father found her just staring into the scenery. They all thought she had been kidnapped, and Aurelia found out that almost the entire Winterfell came looking for her. She made her parents worried sick, and Aurelia felt guilty for putting them in such a position.

But Aurelia hasn't done anything wrong now. She does stir up trouble here and there after her little escape, but never one so extreme that she broke any rules.

She took a deep breathe before knocking on the wooden. A second afterwards she can hear her father's voice from inside. "Come in."

Aurelia cautiously opened the door, and saw her mother and father standing apart in the middle of the room. Catelyn's face softened upon seeing her daughter, and Aurelia knew that they must be having an argument before she came. Taking a step inside, she closed the door behind her.

"You wanted to see me." Aurelia spoke with such gentleness. Catelyn always wondered how she can have interests in the activities of men, yet remain the composure and behavior of a highborn lady.

"Yes, we do." Ned said with his deep northern accent.

"Whatever it is, I didn't do it." Aurelia immediately defended herself. She could see the distress that's forming in their eyes.

"You didn't do anything, sweetie." Her mother said with a small smile, as she walked towards her daughter and held her in her arms. She escorted her to Ned's desk, while he moved to the opposite side. "I think it's best if you take a seat first." Catelyn continued, and Aurelia slowly pulled open the chair in front of her father' desk, whereas Catelyn moved to stand beside Ned.

"The two of you are starting to scare me." Aurelia said as she looked at her parents, but they weren't looking at their daughter's eyes.

"What we are about to say will be hard to comprehend at first." Ned told her beforehand, which only made Aurelia more scared. "The King came to me with not only an offer to become Hand of the King, but he also offered to join our houses together." Ned began to say, and her heart started thumping once more. When Ned said that King Robert wishes to join their houses together, Aurelia had thought the worst. Was she about to be betrothed to Prince Joffrey?

Aurelia has never been expressive with her parents, since the only people she's entirely comfortable with is Robb and Jon. Not only that, she's really good in keeping up a strong facade, and letting her true feelings stay hidden. But the thought of having to marry Joffrey was absurd. This wasn't the first time a marriage proposal was given to Aurelia.

Most of the Northern Lords had already asked for Ned's permission to betroth their sons to Aurelia, and Ned politely said no to each and every one of them. She was thankful that her father always said no, because she was not ready for marriage at all. She wanted her freedom, and she was not ready to let that go. Ned and Catelyn want their daughters to be married to the best man there is, and none from the North qualified. Truthfully, Lord and Lady Stark were just not ready to send their daughters away.