Chapter 18 - A quiet morning

When morning came, Aurelia had hoped that everything was a dream. That she'll break her morning fast in the great hall with her parents and siblings, then she'll glance over the window once a while to see her brothers training, or even joined them, and then she'll see her sisters during their break from their lessons given by Septa Mordane. Aurelia once told them all she knew about the Septa, and how hard Septa Mordane can be when she never behave. That knowledge always applied to Arya, never to Sansa. Even though Aurelia rarely got on the Septa's good side, she was always glad whenever Sansa showed her any gowns she made, or learned a new style of braid, or even a song.

But alas, it was not a dream.

The reality was that Bran fell, and Aurelia had to accept that. She turned her body around, and saw the vacant space that Jaime left behind. She stretched out her hand, feeling the soft fabric underneath her fingers. It was still warm, meaning that Jaime hadn't been gone for long. She stood straight up, holding the blankets close against her. She took a couple of deep breathes as she closed her eyes, trying to accumulate the strength she needed for today.

She remembered the small disagreement she and Jaime had the night before. If it was a different morning, Aurelia would have wondered about whether this was how their marriage is to be. However, since Aurelia was still letting of some steam because of what he said last night, she was once again thankful that she didn't have to face Jaime this morning.

She quickly bathed and got dressed, choosing a light grey dress with kimono sleeves. Halfway towards tightening the ties of her dress, a knock came to the door from the usual chambermaid. Aurelia let her come in, and surprisingly set a breakfast for her in the small breakfast table fit for two. She placed the tray down, as Aurelia asked,

"Where are my parents?"

"Lord Stark is in his study with Lord Robb, and Lady Stark is at Lord Bran's room." The chambermaid replied politely. She was perhaps only a few years older than Aurelia, and had recently started to work inside the castle.

"How long has my mother been there?" Aurelia asked another question, and the chambermaid paused for a moment as if the answer was difficult to deliver.

"She's never left, my Lady." The chambermaid announced, though Aurelia wasn't surprised. Her mother would never leave her children's bedside whenever they were sick. That's what Aurelia remembers. Catelyn would constantly pray to the Mother to spare her child, or to give the child's strength back.

"And, Ser Jaime? Have you seen him?" Aurelia questioned. She was debating with herself for a moment if she should, then she thought what harm could there be to ask a simple question about him? She probably won't see him until the very last second they have to leave Winterfell.

"He's breaking fast with his family." The chambermaid told her, and Aurelia thanked her before she excused her.

Aurelia looked towards the stack of two toasts with butter and jam, a glass of water, and a side of crispy bacon, sitting atop the tray on her table. It was a couple of her favorite foods to eat in the morning, and the kitchen maids always served her that in her room unless she tells them otherwise. There was something sad about starting the day on one's own, which is why whenever the Starks weren't taking their breakfast together as a family, Aurelia would always walk to Robb's room, and they'll eat their breakfast with one another. Even the table has never been used before, and it was suppose to be for her and Jaime. Yet, here she is on her own with Jaime breaking his fast with the merry company of his family, not even bothering to wake her up.

She just looked at that tray of uneaten food in front of her, her mind ticking on what to do before she had to leave. Sansa and Arya would be minding their own businesses and still packing no doubt. Robb is busy with their father, Jon is surely getting ready for his own journey to the wall, and Rickon was perhaps being taken care of by Old Nan at this very instant.