Chapter 45 . Between Worlds

Tyrion Lannister had forgotten how incessantly hot and humid the air surrounding Kings Landing was, and coupled with the millions of people in the capital did not make it any better. The pungent stench made its way to Tyrion's nose as he entered the gates of the city; his eyes never leaving the colossal castle sitting atop Aegon's hill. The Red Keep was the only massive structure besides the Great Sept of Baelor in the capital. If Tyrion's memories of Casterly Rock were not laced with his own father's torment, perhaps he would have chosen the great seat of the Lannisters rather than the Keep to spend his days. This has been his home away from home. Only a madman would deliberately live in the Rock with Tywin Lannister as their only company.

     After his near-death experiences one too many times, Tyrion would have enjoyed his comfy featherbed and plush pillows, with a whore distracting him for the night's duration until the sun rises. But for the first time, he was here on business. He arrived with what's left of the hill tribes, and the sell sword Bronn, whom saved Tyrion's life after demanding trial by combat in the Eyrie. The journey Tyrion endured from the Wall all the way to the South was petrifying to say the least – being imprisoned for a crime he did not commit, attacked by the hill tribes twice, managing to leave the Eyrie without having to jump to his death through a moon door, reunited with his father and Uncle Kevan in the middle of their war council, survived a battle by being knocked unconscious, and now he's arrived in Kings Landing as acting Hand of the King, appointed by Tywin himself. In between those occurrences, he was informed of Robert Baratheon's death, Eddard Stark's beheading, and his brother, Jaime Lannister's capture.

     Tyrion made his way to a room behind the great hall, entering the place whilst whistling a jolly tone. The sound made all other members of the small council stop what they were doing. All their heads quipped to the entrance to where the sound of footsteps originated from, as they saw Tyrion Lannister walk in clad with Lannister armor from head-to-toe; though it seems to be covered by a thick layer of dust that managed to cover the crimson red color. None were expecting to see the Imp alive, nor sauntering his way into the small council.

     "Don't get up. More ravishing than ever, big sister." Tyrion spoke for everyone to hear, as Cersei rolled her eyes at the presence of her youngest brother. He went to her seat first, giving Cersei a peck on the cheek. She made no effort to hide the nuisance on her face upon seeing the brother she had not seen for almost a year. If the two siblings shared any affection for one another, they were not doing a good job showing it. "War agrees with you. Carry on." He told the entire council as he walked to the seat by the other end of the table where the Hand normally sits.

     "What are you doing here?" Cersei questioned him,

     "Ah, it's been a remarkable journey. I pissed off the edge of the Wall, I slept in a sky cell, I fought with the hill tribes...so many adventures, so much to be thankful for." Tyrion expressed in a sarcastic matter. He grabbed a pitcher of wine situated by his side on the table, and poured himself a drink into an empty glass.

     "What are you doing here? This is the small council." Cersei clarified her question with anger rising in her voice; a tone Tyrion knew all too well for he had grown up with it.

     "Yes. Well, I do believe the Hand of the King is welcomed at all small council meetings." Tyrion remarked, astounding the members of the council.

     "Our father is Hand of the King." Cersei corrected him,

     "Yes; but, in his absence..." Tyrion pulled out a rolled paper from under his armor, and handed it to Varys, whom seated on his left. Tyrion's eyes never left Cersei's, wanting to witness firsthand his sister's reaction after she listened to what is written on that paper.