Chapter 20 - Kingsroad

They have travelled for more than a month in the Kingsroad

They have travelled for more than a month in the Kingsroad. Every step they take closer to the Capital, Aurelia knows Jaime no more than the day before. They had another argument piling up the last one in which they still had not spoken about. Jaime was too arrogant to apologize, and Aurelia was too stubborn to even mention it.

They were sharing the same bed as well, with both sleeping on opposite sides far away from one another. Once Aurelia would awaken, Jaime would already be gone. When Jaime returns, Aurelia would choose to avoid him by reading a book or sleeping right then. The two did not converse unless need be, and even then Aurelia would only reply Jaime with short sentences.

Their second argument arise a week during their travel. Aurelia was not overly fond of the fact that Lannister soldiers are following her everywhere she goes, even to visit her sisters. It felt as if being watched over a pack of hawks, and she was the prey. During that day, the entire party was getting ready to leave for another day's journey, and Aurelia had just mounted on her horse when she noticed two guards with their crimson red armor and heavy chain mail, riding on their horses up to her.

"We have been assigned to protect you, my Lady." One of the guards informed, puzzling Aurelia. Ned promised his daughter two guards, and he's been keeping that promise. If he has assigned more, he would surely have sent Stark men, not Lannisters.

"On whose orders?" Aurelia questioned them,

"Ser Jaime Lannister." The guard replied, and Aurelia can't help but let out a disapproving sigh. He was adding fuel to the fire, and Aurelia was having enough of it.

"Well you can tell Ser Jaime Lannister, I do not need more men watching over me. Two of my men are enough." Aurelia dismissed the guards, and with perfect timing Jaime appeared out of the blue.

"Is there a problem here?" Jaime chimed in, as he sat astride on his white stallion.

"Yes, there is. Relieve your men of the order you gave them. I do not need more soldiers. I can watch over myself perfectly." Aurelia opined in a stern manner.

"The Kingsroad is a dangerous place. I am merely concern about your safety. No Lady should journey unattended." Jaime told her,

"Well, I am not unattended. Two of my father's men are perfectly capable protecting me. I don't need yours." Aurelia exclaimed with exasperation.

"Your father's men?" Jaime questioned, "As far as I am aware, you are my wife. That means you're a Lannister now; you need to be protected by my Lannister men."

"I did marry you. However, that does not mean I am not a Stark." Aurelia corrected him, making Jaime irritated now. All that she wanted was for this nonsensical discussion to end. "As your wife, I have the ability to voice out my reasons; and my reason is I do not wish to be watched over by Lannister soldiers."