Chapter 26 - Morning after

Catelyn Stark surprisingly arrived at Kings Landing with Ser Rodrick Cassel to accompany her. She rode inside the city through the back gate, as Ser Rodrick suggested. He thought that fewer faces will recognize Catelyn's face, but the Lady of Winterfell assured him that no one will know who she is, as no one did nine years ago. She was to enter King's Landing discreetly, but failed to do so as she was greeted by a couple members of the City Watch, and escorted to Petyr Baelish, or more commonly known as Littlefinger's brothel by a neighborhood quite far from the Red Keep. Catelyn was furious to be brought to such a place, but Littlefinger insisted that it was for her safety.

Catelyn and Littlefinger grew up with one another in Riverrun, as Lord Hoster Tully fostered him after his father befriend him. It was a great honor for a Lord from a lesser house to be granted such a thing. Baelish ended up falling obsessively in love with Catelyn Tully, hoping that she is to marry him when they are older. However, when Catelyn was first engaged to Brandon Stark, Baelish challenged the Stark to a duel for Catelyn's hand. In the end, Baelish was defeated and overpowered. Catelyn saved his life by convincing Brandon to spare his life, and she successfully did so. Petyr Baelish has climbed up the ranks from below, and now has a seat in the small council as the Master of Coin. Until now, Catelyn sees Littlefinger as the only friend she can fully trust in court.

They discussed about the assassin who attempted to kill Bran Stark, asking if Littlefinger knew about the dagger the assassin used. He failed in ending Bran Stark's life, but he did manage to scar Catelyn's hands as she fought him off as hard as she could before Bran's wolf finished the job by tearing the assassin's throat. Baelish informed her that the blade belongs to Tyrion Lannister, falsely implicating the imp as the mastermind of the entire plan. Catelyn was more than convinced that the Lannister wanted her son dead. She never fully trusted them, and hearing this only made Catelyn despise them even further.

Ned Stark eventually came to the brothel, not believing Littlefinger for an instant that his wife was in King's Landing, and believe that he was tricking her. Only when Ned saw Catelyn's face, did he quell his anger towards Littlefinger. After hearing the news she brought from Winterfell about their son and the attempted assassination, Ned promised to solve the incident and expose the Lannisters. Littlefinger even gave his word that he will aid Ned in his investigation, for the sake of the affection he bears to Catelyn.

By the break of dawn the next day, Catelyn and Ned were standing beside Littlefinger's brothel careful not to get noticed. The surrounding area was deserted, except for them both, Ser Rodrick and Jory Cassel.

"I wish I could see the girls." Catelyn told her husband. It pained her to be so close to her daughters, and yet she could not meet with them. It was difficult not to have Aurelia by her side, and she even miss the bickering sounds of Sansa and Arya.

"It's too dangerous." Ned objected gently,

"Just for a moment." Catelyn said,

"Until we know who our enemies are..." Ned tried explaining to her, knowing how hard this must be for her. If it was the other way around, Ned would have wanted to see her daughters as well.

"I know they did it, Ned. The Lannisters. In my bones, I know they did it." Catelyn stated determinedly, but then the thought of her eldest daughter came rushing to her mind."Oh, Ned what about Aurelia? She is married to one. We shouldn't have allowed her to marry him in the first place." She remarked about Aurelia's marriage to Jaime Lannister, and Ned let out a deep sigh.

"I'll remind her to keep her distance from him, but Littlefinger is right. I cannot do anything without proof." Ned reminded her,

"And if you find the proof?" Catelyn questioned, looking at him straight in the eyes. How she had missed looking at them before she goes to sleep at night.