Chapter 23 - Breakfast for two

Aurelia found out to her surprise that Jaime had not left this morning. She tiredly opened her eyes, and saw Jaime sleeping beside her. He was shirtless, though the blankets covered his lower torso. She didn't shift away or moved, even though she wanted to. Jaime looked like a normal human being while he's asleep. His long hair appeared much lighter under the sun, and she could hear his breathing as his chest rose up and down. She saw the fine lines starting to appear between his brows and forehead, then her gaze went to his sculpted jaw.

Before she came, Jaime had no chance of marrying due to his Kingsguard oath, and yet every lady in the capital desired him; both highborn and baseborn. Just the same, handmaidens would give a smile to the knight when they pass him by, but Jaime was oblivious to it all. He cared nothing for any of that; like a human incapable of caring for others who were not his family and he hasn't changed. Even during his relationship with Cersei, Jaime paid no attention to other woman other than her. Unbeknownst to him, he was doing the same thing with Aurelia as his wife.

It still confuses Jaime where Aurelia stands in his heart, or if she was in it to begin with. He had not expected anything from her, but their non-existing relationship has turned into something confusing. They were far from lovers, though they aren't strangers. However, even the word 'friends' seem unfit to describe them.

Aurelia was tempted to reach out her hand, and touch Jaime's face. She hated herself for even thinking about that. She shouldn't even be thinking such things; she didn't want to, but here she is admiring Jaime sleeping. Little did she know, he was doing the same thing last night.

Jaime woke up feeling a hand on his arm. Aurelia was gently shaking him awake, standing by his bed. He had slept for another hour after Aurelia awakened. She would have let him to sleep longer, but thought that Jaime needed the rest. He practically went straight to his duty after they arrived in Kings Landing, never retreating to their chambers once the entire day. He was just as much tired as she was.

"Sorry to wake you, but you need to eat." Aurelia told him, as Jaime rubbed his eyes open. He saw her small figure standing over him, and slowly sat up. She had bathed and gotten dressed for the day, while Jaime sat half naked on the bed.

"Have I slept for a long time? I must be late for my duty." Jaime groaned,

"No, you still have plenty of time. You only woke up later than usual." Aurelia explained. In truth, he had woken up already this morning as the sun began to rise, but chose to stay in bed a little while longer, deciding to wake up with Aurelia by his side. He didn't thought that he would doze off longer than her. "I asked the handmaidens to serve our breakfast on the table." She said, walking towards a small table situated in front of the balcony.

"You did all this?" He asked, getting up from the bed.

"I only asked for the handmaidens to place our breakfasts here." She clarified, and Jaime looked her with astonishment. He never broke his fast inside his room for the longest time. Cersei was too paranoid to spend such a time with Jaime in their room the morning after, which is why they always broke their fast in the dining hall with their bastard children to avoid suspicion. Jaime prefers eating his food in private, without the bothering eyes of servants, or soldiers in which he did not trust.

"It's nothing." Aurelia continued, but then she saw the awestruck look on his face and wrongly perceived it as Jaime not wanting to spend the morning with her. "Unless, you do not want to break your fast with me. I could send the handmaidens to bring the food back to the kitchen. I can break fast with my family." She added rather anxiously.

"No, no." Jaime quickly exclaimed, walking closer to where the table was. "It's quite alright." He said, and motioned for her to sit down on the chair. She carefully sat, as Jaime did the same thing.