Chapter 40 . Battle of the Whispering Wood

Aurelia jumped on her seat upon hearing a man's scream pierce through the tent. Aiyana became alarmed and alert in an instant, as she stood up in her own four paws and gnarled at whoever was outside. She thought she had heard wrong, but more shouts followed soon afterwards, and there was no mistaking that a commotion had just began outside. Whatever it was, it was only growing louder.

Before Aurelia could react any more, Jaime rushed inside his tent fully dressed in his battle armor and a surprised look etched on his face. She had not seen him the entire day, seeing as he left their bed since the break of dawn. Aurelia looked at him intently, and could almost see a glimmer of fear appearing in his eyes. She knew then that Jaime's expression was caused by what was happening outside the tent.

"You have to stay here." Jaime told her sternly, though it only worried her more.

"What's wrong?" Aurelia asked with pure concern as she stood up from her chair.

"We're being attacked."

"What? By whom?" Aurelia responded loudly out of disbelief, as the sound of shouts became more apparent to her. The only logical explanation was for the Tully bannermen to be the one attacking Jaime's siege. They were only a day's ride. They say that her Uncle Edmure was leading the Tully army throughout the battles against the other Lannister's – or at least leading them as well as he could. Aurelia had not expected her Uncle to be this bold.

  A few days ago, she would have thought that her Uncle can come and save her. That perhaps her mother had found herself in Riverrun, and was waiting for her daughter's return. Or maybe Ned had come and find her like he promised her he would do. Maybe it was the Starks and not the Tully's that were attacking them. But a small amount of time can change the minds of people; Aurelia included. If her family is truly coming for her, then she would be saved from the Lannister's, but not Jaime. She never felt frightened around him, and Jaime has done no physical harm. The only injury he's given her is intangible, and not even her father's army can save her from that.

"For once, you have to listen to me. I need you stay here." He pleaded, ignoring Aurelia's question. If he had told her whom he was fighting, Aurelia would have darted off the tent without caring about her life.

     Battles make men restless and desperate, and Aurelia would be the victim of that once the Lannister men find her amidst the field. Jaime was protecting her from that.

  Looking at him, she could see that he was utterly concern about her well-being. Before Aurelia could open up her mouth to speak, Jaime exited the tent with his sword in hand. She wanted to say more, but Jaime's place right now was in the battlefield. Aurelia knew that she was not safe inside, nor was she outside. She was more afraid of what the consequences would be at the end. If Jaime's forces win, then her family would be as good as dead. However, if Aurelia's family wins this battle, then Jaime will be the one with an unfortunate fate.

Although she wanted to listen to Jaime, she could not. If it truly is her family fighting on the other side of the line, she needed to help them. This was her only way out of the Lannister hole Jaime has coop her up inside. She quickly grabbed the dagger Ned had gifted her, securing it in the belt wrapped around her hip. Aurelia wasn't dressed for battle, but that was the least of her concern. She can send a mean punch while still wearing a dress, and riding a horse would be no problem.

A man suddenly barged inside the tent with full armor and blood dripping down them, though it wasn't his. His hand held onto a large sword that was more red than steel, and a determined look on his face that made Aurelia fear for her life. She looked at him frighteningly as her entire body froze, unsure of what to do next. He was a Lannister soldier with his crimson colored armor decorated with the sigil of a golden lion. Aurelia should feel safe and protected with a soldier from her husband's house, but she never experienced such a thing ever since leaving Winterfell. Now seeing the look on his face, Aurelia cannot help but sense that this man was not here to keep her safe, but rather to kill her.