Chapter 27 - Meeting with a Stag

The halls of the Red Keep were still foreign to Aurelia, who only arrived a couple of days ago. Unlike Winterfell, she has to maintain a sharp mind, ensuring that she remembers every step. Each time she passes by a member of the Royal Court, they would regard her with strange looks. Some would start whispering, others would act out of respect by greeting her, and the rest would simply ignore her. There was never a Stark in King's Landing before Ned became Hand of the King. Everything was exquisitely simple in Winterfell, where she would not feel out of place when walking around the castle. Now that she is living in Kings Landing, everywhere her head turns she sees a strange face.

The King's chambers was not a far walk to the regular inhabitants of the Red Keep, but Aurelia considers it to be. In truth, any destination in the castle seems to be a long journey. The only thing she admires the most about this place was the views it has to offer. Before reaching the Capital, wide-blue oceans only served as a pigment of Aurelia's imagination. The nearest city located in the North was White Harbor, and it was the closest place enabling her to watch the sea. Aurelia never rode there before, as the only place she ever knew was her home in Winterfell. Now in the Red Keep, people can view the beauty of the ocean as long as they please. It gave Aurelia joy that she is able to gaze at the picturesque Narrow Sea from the comfort of her own room. She did not realize how calming they were until she saw them.

Her destination was situated in a place where Aurelia has never been to. She tried finding her father by going to the Tower of the Hand, but her father's soldiers informed her that Ned was not present. Aurelia did not place much thought into it, believing that he probably attending his duties as Hand. Only then was she aware that she had to bring herself to the King's presence whether she liked it or not.

Reaching the place, Aurelia was easily intimidated by the heavy iron doors guarding it. There was supposed to be two knights from the Kingsguard protecting the entrance, but Aurelia saw a vacant spot. The only kingsguard present took note of the Stark girl walking over, and bowed his head out of respect. Knowing that she was to be expected, the guard went to push open the door, only to be greeted by Jaime Lannister's towering presence. He was the other Kingsguard appointed to protect the King by standing outside the entrance of his study.

With the door open, Robert glanced at the figure standing under the door. He had to remind myself that he was not seeing the ghost of Lyanna Stark. Aurelia froze on the spot, looking at her husband as Jaime forgot that the King requested her presence.

"Move away, Kingslayer! Let the girl come through." Robert bellowed, and Jaime's jaw tightened upon hearing the King's command. He despise the fact after all these years, the King can make his blood churn by calling him by that name.

Jaime's eyes laid on hers before he stepped aside, allowing Aurelia to walk past him and down the small flight of stairs. She eyed her surroundings, realizing that there was another knight in the room. Ser Barristan Selmy stood gallantly without effort. He was older than any other member of the Kingsguard, even older than the King. Silver hair decorated his head, with his hand resting instinctively on the pommel of his sword. As Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Barristan's existence is held in the highest regard.

Ser Barristan Selmy saw Aurelia lining up in between her siblings the day the Royal Party arrived at Winterfell. He recalled seeing her stood politely as the courtyard as Ned Stark greeted the King. That politeness turned timid when Robert recognize her resemblance towards Lyanna. Ser Barristan cannot deny that there were certain features he saw similar to Aurelia's late Aunt , but anyone who looked closer could easily perceive the differences between the two. The King was the only one too blinded by his love to realize the truth.

"My Lady," Ser Barristan greeted her with a warm smile.

"Ser Barristan," Aurelia greeted him in return, acknowledging his presence. She decided to stand next to him, while Robert sat down by his desk across from them.