Chapter 2

Kevin Gelber was a lot like me. We were both shy, introverted and hated school. But at least he did not have the fears and phobias I had. Lucky arse.

But, even though Kevin Gelber was a wonderful human being, he was also known as a freak. We always got bullied by the Cool-eys, a group of good-looking, cute and popular boys with hot girlfriends (a.k.a. the popular girls) who went around as if they were gods (and goddesses). And the whole student body, with the exception of Kevin and myself, thought they were 'legendary'. I mean, seriously people, wake up! Boobs and abs are not the ultimate potions for greatness!

Back to reality. Homegroup was boring and basically useless.

Mr Deoliveira was who we had this year. He was really old. I was sure he had to get a pension and quit his job, like, ten years ago. But, dare I say, he is a fantastic teacher. I had him for Geography last year, and because of him, I aced the final exam.

So, Homegroup. Kevin and I sat together in the middle of the classroom. This was the only class which had pairs of desks next to each other. The others had the individual ones only.

Mr Deoliveira called out our names one by one. Most of the students in my class had surnames starting with Cs, including myself.

"Miss Eleanor Crosier?" Mr Deoliveira asked. Kevin nudged me.

"Wake up, Ellie, he called you out," Kevin whispered.

"Oh, uh, I'm here," I mumbled. People were snickering. Shit, I must have gotten distracted from the role.

"Is that a yes?"

"She is here, sir." I could feel Kevin Gelber's annoyance. More snickers and giggles filled the classroom.

"Thank you, young man," Mr Deoliveira pushed up his glasses with his wrinkly index finger. "Miss Crosier, I would appreciate it if you would not take up our time like this again. A loud and clear, 'yes sir' is all I'm asking from you."

"Yes, sir." I looked down and covered my head with my hands. Everyone was laughing and it was getting louder by the second.

"Now, where was I..." His voice trailed off. The laughter was dying slowly. I'm such a freak, I thought.