Chapter 9

The reason I bought a sandwich and a bottle of water from the store was that I wanted to go to the library that day to borrow and return a book.

My hobby is reading. I am a keen reader and read around 10 books a month, at the very least. I always loved to read, and I guess it came from my Grandm, who was also a keen reader.

The library is far from here. It's a 40-minute walk or 20-minute bus ride. I caught the bus today, and it was full of school students, just as I feared.

After the most dreadful 20 minutes of my life (okay, maybe not that dreadful), I entered the magnificent public library.

I sat outside for a few minutes while eating my sandwich, and entered the library shortly after I finished.

The public library was huge. Everywhere you looked were gigantic shelves of books. There were even newspapers, magazines, DVDs and encyclopedias. I walked to the YA Fiction section at the very left end of the library.

Before I reached that area, I heard some people speaking in hushed tones. I heard a familiar voice and decided to do a bit of eavesdropping, because why not.

I hid behind one of the tall shelves with the Historical fiction for Adults books. I pretended to be looking for a book, while I listened in on the ongoing conversation.

"You think she likes me?" The familiar voice said. I didn't know whose it was though.

"I'm pretty sure."

"I dunno, Caspian, you make her sound like a chilled popular girl."

That was it! Caspian! Caspian, my next door neighbour! I remembered him because he always delivered the paper to my house every week.

"Well, she always looks at me all like, friendly and stuff. She looks kind of shy when she talks to me," Caspian whispered.

"Does she thank you for the paper?"

Oh my god! They were talking about me. Crap. I've got to get out of here as fast as I can, I panicked silently.

"She thanks me. I thought of bringing her cookies one time, but she wasn't home. And then I saw her with this other boy, much cooler and taller, and..." His voice lowered. "Hotter than me."

Oh my god, he was referring to Kevin. Kevin... I mean, he's cool, and he's tall, but... hot? The thought made me want to puke.

"Try asking her out one time, maybe she'll say yes."

That was it. I was leaving. Caspian was now officially off my 'people I talk to' list. I was disgusted by his description of Kevin and I was disgusted by the fact that he might try to ask me out.

I came home and sat on the floor in the silent company of Jackie (my dog).