Chapter 8

I left the changing rooms with my head in the clouds. I had so many questions buzzing around and I could not believe what just happened back there. I tried to focus on basketball, but I was still shocked and puzzled and confused.

"Catch Ellie!"

"Don't just stand there, dribble the ball!"

"You need to catch!"

"Come on, Ellie! Dribble and throw!"

"Wake up, freak!"

"Stop standing there like some sort of-"

"Catch!"

"Throw in the hoop!"

"At least try!"

"Dribble the ball, freak!"

"Why are you so useless!"

"We lost 'cause of you!"

"Pass, pass!"

"Catch! Pass it back!"

And a million other comments and complaints were fired at me in this one hour of Sport. Finally, the bell rang and I was free.

***

I walked to the corner shop at the end of the street. The school was located at the bottom of a hill, and the shop at the top. My house was around that corner and a few blocks along that street.

"Good afternoon! May I help you?" The shopkeeper grinned at me and kind of creeped me out.

"Uh, yes, please. I would like a bottle of water and a cheese sandwich."

"Toasted?"

"Yes please."

"Two minutes."

I waited patiently as I stood at the counter. I could see shelves of soft drink cans, 1L bottles of Coke and cigarettes. There was also a book on the small table behind the counter.

The shopkeeper must have noticed me looking at the book because he said, "That book is not for sale, unfortunately."

"I wasn't going to ask to buy it," I answered. "Just looking."

"Are you a reader?"

I glanced at him and then at his name tag. 'Harry' it said. "Yes, Harry, I am a reader."

He turned a bit pink when I said 'Harry'.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you," I consoled.

"No, it's absolutely fine." He took my sandwich from the grill and placed it in a brown paper bag. He grabbed a napkin and placed everything on the counter. He got a bottle from under the table and placed it on the counter too.

"Seven dollars, thank you."

I paid, thanked him and headed for the door. "See you," Harry shouted a bit too loudly.

"Bye."