Chapter 16

I think that I sat on Samuel's porch for around 20 minutes. I was about to call Kevin and tell him I was leaving, when he suddenly showed up out of the void and sat down on the steps.

"Here." He passed me a bottle of beer. I did not take it.

"Here," he repeated. "Take it."

"I don't want it."

"Come on."

"I don't want it!"

"Have you ever tried it?"

I looked at him in disbelief. "No!"

He raised his eyebrows. Or attempted to. "Then take it and try a sip." He tried passing me the bottle again, but I hit it away with my hand. Some of the liquid spilt out on the stone stairs.

Kevin sighed. "Just... at least smell it."

"Ugh."

"For me."

"Ugh." Now it was my turn to sigh. "Ugh, fine."

I took the wretched bottle and sniffed at it. I did not like the smell. I put it down at my feet and made a face.

"It doesn't smell good, huh?"

"No."

He did not say anything.

"Where is yours?" I asked him.

"I don't drink."

"What? Then why are you trying to make me?"

"I'm sorry. The thing is, I've been afraid to try since you know, everyone says it's dangerous and stuff. But, it looks fun and cool."

"Of course it's dangerous! And it's illegal!"

"Yeah, I know, but, I thought, maybe if you try it, I will get the guts to do it."

"Are you insane?"

"No."

"Then stop talking shit and let's get outta here before we get pulled into some sort of crime or something!" I stood up and straightened my skirt.

"Yeah..." He got up too.

"Where are we going to go?"

We thought for a moment. "My place?" Kevin offered. "My mom's at a cooking class, my dad's abroad for work, my sister's at her friend's studying, and..." He looked at me apologetically. "My brother's at home. Hope that's alright."

I smiled. "Sure. He's cool."

"Right."

"Right."