Chapter 17

Kevin Gelber lived in an apartment on the second floor. It was very different from my house, and it felt like a huge change when I walked through into his home.

There was a small corridor leading into the living/dining room, where there was a small sofa, a large dining table with six chairs, and four doors, each leading into separate rooms.

"It's tiny compared to your mansion," Kevin said.

"It's nice," I commented.

"That is the kitchen, the bathroom, mine and my brother's bedrooms, there is another door in there, and my sister's and parents' bedrooms, again, with another door," he explained quickly, pointing to each of the doors as he spoke.

"Interesting."

"Do you want something to eat or drink?"

"No thanks, I'm good."

"Sure, tell me if you change your mind."

"Okay."

"Let's go to my room, follow me." He opened one of the doors and we entered a messy room, with a bed, a desk, a wardrobe and a big bean-bag. Clothes were lying everywhere. I noticed an open guitar case leaning against the wardrobe.

"This is my brother's room," Kevin cringed. "He's really gross."

"Yeah," I replied. "Does he play the guitar?"

"Oh, yes... yes, he does."

"Do you play an instrument?"

"Uh... I... I-"

"Is everything okay?"

He stayed quiet for a while, hesitating and clearly worried about something. I did not interfere. After a few minutes, he took a deep breath and said, quietly, "I haven't told anyone this yet... I was scared and shy to do so, mostly because I was afraid of getting laughed at. I play an instrument... the drums." He closed his eyes and smiled, relieved.

I grinned, "Oh my god, that is so freaking awesome!"

He looked at me. "You think so?"

"Hell yeah! I mean, have you ever seen all the rock stars and their drum players and how cool they are?"

"Yeah..."

"Yeah! Why haven't you told anyone earlier? You would've been the coolest guy in the school! Not a freak like me."

"Actually," he answered. "Firstly, I have told my brother and my dad also knows, and secondly, I have no desire to be popular and cool and thirdly, you are not a freak."

I grunted, "Uh-huh."

"Just because the Cool-eys call you that, doesn't mean you are like that."

"Oh really? I'm just a shy, introverted, quiet girl with only one friend, who is just too nice to admit all the things I've said earlier, and who should be at that party with the Cool-eys, and who is, instead, at his home, saying shit about being shy and not desiring to be cool, and telling his 'friend' that she's not a freak and-"

"I don't see you like that," he interrupted me.

"What?"

"I don't see you as the girl which you described earlier," he smiled.

"But it's true... "

"It might be, in the eyes of some dumb Cool-eys." He moved closer to me. "But I don't believe in that."

"Why are you saying this?"

He reached over and put his hands on my waist. "I love you, Eleanor Crosier. Not just as a friend. I love you... your eyes, your hair, your voice, your personality, your everything. I don't give a shit about the people that think you're a freak, because you're not. You're beautiful, inside and out. And you deserve more than you get."

"Kevin-" My speech was muffled as Kevin's lips touched mine, and in a matter of seconds, we were kissing. Once in my entire life, I wasn't disgusted. It actually felt nice. It definitely felt right.

The rest of the evening was spent in Kevin Gelber's garage, where he proudly demonstrated his drum playing skills. He was awesome.

He walked me to my house at 9.30pm. It was a long walk, but it passed very quickly because we were talking and laughing all the way.

When we reached my house, I hugged him, tight, and we stood there in the street for about ten minutes, until I told him that I was cold. We said our goodbyes and I went home, satisfied and feeling more confident than ever.