Bullies (Chapter 18)

* Your POV as Jughead *

You wake up the next morning and feel a presence over you, causing you to jerk up from bed quickly.

"DAD!" You involuntarily shout and begin to catch your breath, "W-What are...you...doing up so early?"

"Thought i'd check in on you son" he runs a hand through his hair and sits down on the edge of your bed, "Last night... something was going on with you and I want to make sure everything is ok..." his voice trails off.

"I'm ok..." You begin to get out of bed and comb your black hair a bit.

Your dad shoots you a look.

"Really dad, I'm fine." You pause from combing your hair to face him, "Look, if anything were to happen, you would be the first one to know about it" you force a tired smile.

"Really? Well, I am one honored old man" he sarcastically retorts throwing a pillow at you.

You chuckle and throw it back at him, "Please don't worry about me dad" you pause to adjust the suspenders dangling from your black jeans and add, "Besides, I'm just going to school today, what's the worst that can happen there?" you smirk and add lowly, "besides everything..."

Your dad gets up and pats you on the back, "Well, exactly... I don't want any kids messing with you. Look, Jughead, I know you are a tough one, but if things ever get too out of hand, we'll figure things out together. You hear me?" He stares down at you with all seriousness.

You look back at him, and feel a warmth in your chest from this new interest and attention you are beginning to receive from your dad. Maybe having your mom and sister return home was helping him turn over a new leaf. Things were heading on the right track when your dad began seeing Alice Cooper, before your family reunion, however, your dad was now starting to take more of an interest in new things... like how you were actually feeling.

"Ok dad" you whisper, "thanks."

-------------------

"Juggie!" Betty runs up to you during homeroom, "Did you hear the news?"

"What news?" You ask walking closer to her.

"Supposedly" she lowers her voice shifting her eyes to make sure no one is listening, "a group of kids trashed the Drive-In late last night...they got it on camera too."

You swallow hard and whisper, "Betty, I think I know who did it..."

She nods slowly, "The Dark Circle?"

You widen your eyes a bit, "How did you know?"

"Because they have gone insane" she whisper shouts, "that's why! And besides, they seem to be causing mischief at night. I figured you would agree with me."

"Of course." you continue to whisper, "I saw Reggie and the rest of his Dark Circle goons late last night at Sunnyside Trailer Park."

"What?" her eyes look up at you with concern, "Why would they bother the South Side?"

"I think they honestly believe that the black hood is from the south side" you swallow hard and look down at a desk nearby, "...and the fact that they walked all the way to the trailer park, they probably have it in their bones to frame a serpent" You feel your cheeks turn red.

Betty shakes her head and touches your hand lightly, "That sucks. I'm so sorry Jug."

"Thanks" you sigh, "They couldn't have come at a worse time with my mom and Jellybean now living with us...." your voice trails off. You never actually asked Betty how she feels knowing that your dad and her mom are forced to take a hiatus from their relationship. You can't help but wonder how Betty feels about this too. Does she miss hanging out with her mom, FP, and you? To be honest, you do miss it, things were pretty good, but then again you always had in the back of your mind that what you really yearned for was for mom and Jellybean to return home.