Ch. 8 - Start Over ||

There are far, far

better things ahead

than any we leave behind --

C.S. Lewis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Slight trigger warning ahead for the case. There is a rape mention that can be seen as graphic. If you want to skip that part, then just scroll past the "diary/journal entries" and you'll be all good!

Lee sighed for what felt like the umpteenth time as she shifted in the passenger seat of Hank's car. In her hand's she had the current case file of a deviant as she flipped through it, her eyes slightly sore and tired from crying earlier. Hank had noticed her mood, but decided not to press her on it, knowing she would probably bite his head off. It was a common trait the two shared, albeit it was a negative trait. The two weren't known to openly share their problems together but despite that, Hank and Lee were always there for one another.

Hank knew Lee's dad when they worked on the Red Ice Task Force and Lee was just getting out of the academy. When her father had passed on duty, Lee was a mess and Hank was there for her. He didn't press her to express her feelings, but he was there when she needed someone to cry on. 

And she was there for him when his son passed, even though Hank tried his damnedest to push her away. Lee was stubborn. He had eventually came around and let her in again, although he would never fully tell her the extent of the pain he was in. However, Hank had a feeling Lee knew just how bad and fucked up her was. She would never say it, but she doted on him and always made sure to text or call him every week.

Hank tossed a glance at her, she was looking out the window at the moment, as the rain hit the car hard, droplets sliding down the window. Lee wore ripped blue jeans, her signature black combat boots, a plain band shirt with a heavy black bomber jacket over her small frame. She pushed a stray hair behind her ear, sniffling a little as she readjusted herself once more in her car. She then swiped her finger as the next digital page of the deviant case had popped up. Hank felt the corners of his lips twitch a little in a smile as he saw her focused look.

Even if she was bothered by something she'd never let it interfere with her work, unlike himself. Hank then moved his hand up to rearrange the mirror, a scowl immediately coming on his face when his blue eyes met brown puppy-eyes. Fucking android...he thought with a roll of his eyes, returning his attention back to the road.

Hank didn't mind riding with Lee, he used to ride with her a few times when they worked a case together. However, he didn't like that damn android in the backseat. It called itself 'Connor' and Hank thought it was a silly name, he thought it's voice and just the entire way it looked was goofy. He also didn't like how it treated and looked at Lee. It was...weird. Hank couldn't put his finger on it, but there was a certain...softness the android had when it came to Lee. Hank cut his eyes to the rear view mirror once more and saw that Connor had taken Lee's role in looking out of the window.

His eyes seemed to scan each droplet that hit the window and his head was tilted to the side in an almost human-like and child-like gesture. Hank snorted a little, a small smile coming onto his face as he looked back on the road. That damn thing seemed intelligent but it looked at the rain as if it was seeing something fascinating.

"Are you done with the report Sergeant Hart?" Connor asked suddenly, tearing his gaze from the window.

Lee sighed and turned around, handing the device to Connor. "Yeah, here." She then turned back around in her seat. She then turned on the radio, to drown out the silence between the three of them, still looking a little bummed. Hank noticed it and then switched the radio channel and suddenly the sound of clapping and guitar strumming filled the car followed by drums and trumpets. Lee looked at Hank, raising a brow. Hank, tapped his hand on the steering wheel. "Hank, what are you doing?" Lee asked dryly, staring at him.