Ch. 11 - Unlikely ||

I'm always excited by the unlikely things

Never by ordinary things---

David Hockney

------------------------------------------------------------

Connor slowly opened his eyes as he felt himself waking up.

He was once again in Amanda's garden. However, he knew that this was no longer taking place within his mind but he for once was physically in Amanda's garden within CyberLife. He had only been there once, when he was first activated and told of his mission from Amanda. Any time after that, he was able to have a mental digital interface with her. It's been months since he's seen Amanda face to face in person, and as he began to walk around the garden looking for her, he had a feeling that this wasn't the usual talk with her.

He had noticed as he walked around that Amanda wasn't there. As he scanned the area, there was no sign of her. He blinked in confusion, unsure of what to do next. So he stood at the peak of the bridge, overlooking the water, staring down at his own reflection as a light breeze wafted through the garden, blowing his hair. Connor thought about what he had done a few days ago. His fists clenched as he felt disappointed within himself for letting the deviant go. He could have easily, pushed Lee out of the way and shot it, hell he could have shot Lee. Instead, he hesitated. Lee made him unsure. Connor didn't like to be unsure. Around Lee, his thought processing seemed befuddled and every thing he did was unpredictable.

Connor was used to certainties. He was programmed to map out the best possible solutions, the improbable was always probable. And he felt that the more he spent time with both Lee and Hank, he was dwelling onto the path of uncertainties.

"Connor."

Connor snapped his head up, noticing Amanda was standing right next time. How long had she been standing there? Had she been watching him? Why was he here? All of these questions seemed to swirl in his mind and it made him...nervous. He straightened up, no longer leaning over the railing.

"Hello, Amanda," Connor said smoothly, giving Amanda a polite small smile. "How are you...?"

"To be honest Connor, I'm worried about you." Amanda stated. Today Amanda wore an all white dress with light colored vines twisting upwards from the bottom hem and simple black loafers. Connor's face scrunched up at her statement. "Why is that?" he asked. Amanda hummed to herself, turning her head away from Connor as she looked over the bridge and down at both of their reflections. "That deviant got away."

Connor stiffened. He already knew that this is why he was here. However, that didn't ease the nervousness he felt twisting within him. "Yes, it did."

"And why is that?" Amanda asked.

"Sergeant Hart had stepped in front of my line of sight. She was prepared to sacrifice her life for the sake of the deviant," Connor replied, putting his arms behind his back. Amanda frowned a little. "I see, and that stopped you from completing your task? Is Sergeant Hart to blame for your...failure?" Connor visibly flinched at the word failure. It felt vile coming from Amanda, accusatory even. It dug deep within the pit of his stomach and engulfed him. He didn't want to be a failure.

"I was created to be an adaptable and suited partner for both Sergeant Hart and Lieutenant Anderson, shooting the deviant would have dampened my partnership with both Sergeant Hart and Lieutenant Anderso--"

**AMANDA: vvv - TRUSTED**

"Lieutenant Anderson wasn't with the two of you," Amanda said, cutting Connor off. "It was just Sergeant Hart joining you for this case. And it seemed as if she has gotten in the way of you completing your mission. That is not a good thing Connor." A flower from the cherry blossom tree had suddenly fallen from the trees within the garden, landing in front of Amanda on the bridge. Amanda picked up the pink flower, rubbing her fingers gently over the petals. Connor watched her rub it between her fingers, swallowing lightly.