Ch. 20 - Gift ||

Some gifts are big
Others are small
But the ones that come from the heart
Are the best gifts of all

---T. Razoria

-------------------------------------------------

December 14, 2038

3:31 PM

Christmas wasn't that far away, well it was actually pretty damn close. Ten days in fact and Lee was a little behind on Christmas shopping. She usually got all of her Christmas shopping done early, usually a month or two in advance to beat the rush of Christmas shoppers. But due to the case, she's been a little distracted. So, she made sure to take off just so she can do a little shopping. She already got gifts for her father's side of the family, being closer to them than her mother's side. She even got something for Hank, something she knew he'd like. She had remembered Hank disclosing to her on a drunken night that he used to be in a metal band back in high school. It made sense and he told her he used to be really good at the electric guitar but he was rusty. She had went to the music store and purchased him a vintage Paul Reed Smith electric guitar with an amp. She didn't want to carry it to her car and paid a little extra to have it sent to her house.

"Come again," the android teller told her with a tight smile, handing Lee her receipt. She forced a smile at it, finding the androids vacant eyes and overtly cheerful voice to be disturbing. Most androids these days were more fluid in their emotion, almost life-like save for the glowing LED on their temple. This one seemed to be an older model. Its interaction too friendly and off-putting. It reminded Lee of when she used to find androids creepy and this was why, the older models while human-like seemed eerily vacant. Lee took her receipt, nodding a thanks to male android. "Uh yeah, thanks. Have a good day."

"You as well mam," he replied, nodding his head to her robotically before looking forward with a smile plastered on his face. Lee shuddered visibly and turned away from it, walking out of the music store, feeling the android's eyes burning into her back. She shook off the creepy feelings she felt as she stood outside of the music store, going over the things she bought. She had gotten everyone their gifts and she felt like she was forgetting something or someone. Lee paused and turned back to the android who still creepily stared at her with the smile still plastered on its face. Her eyes lit up and her gaze softened. Connor....I almost forgot about him...she thought,  turning away from the creepy android and beginning to walk away from the store, her face scrunched up in deep thought.

Did androids celebrate Christmas? Did they believe in Christmas or Santa? Did they even understand the concept of gift giving? These were some of the thoughts that bombarded Lee's brain. Would Connor even want a gift? And what the hell did he even like? Suddebly a small brief memory of Hank came to her.

I think he's trying to appeal to me. He told me he likes dogs and death metal!

Lee had an inkling Connor was probably not a fan of death metal but she recalled him petting Sumo affectionately.  "So, that's one thing I know about him that he likes dogs," she said out loud to herself, letting out a slight huff of annoyance as she was coming to the realization she didn't really know much about Connor. He probably knew more about her than she knew about him. But, then again he was created to hunt down deviants, he probably had no idea what the hell he liked. There was also a chance, he wouldn't even understand the gift when she gave it to him. Lee let out a deep sigh and then a look of determination crossed her features. She was going to find Connor a gift, even if it took all day. How hard could it be to shop for an android who didn't know anything about himself?

---------------------------------------------------------

Over an hour or so passed and Lee groaned, plopping her butt onto a bench. She rested her head in her hands, exhaling loudly through her mouth in annoyance. Finding a gift for Connor was turning out more trouble than it was worth. Everything she looked at so far didn't seem right. Shopping for Connor was becoming more trouble than it was worth. She then turned, noticing a mens clothing store to her left. She didn't really know Connor's clothing size and would be too embarrassed to ask him, but she could still look around. Maybe she'd find something?  She pushed herself off of the bench, fixing her black purse that dangled over her shoulder, tightening her hold on the few bags of gifts she had in her hands before walking into the shop. The shop had a variety of menswear ranging from expensive to inexpensive.