Ch. 13 - Guilt and Jealousy ||

"Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought.

For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache,

a nearly irresistible urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex."

---J.R. Ward, 'Dark Lover'

-------------------------------------------------------

Connor stared hard at the back of Lee's head, unable to focus on anything or anyone around him but her. She sat at her cubicle, her large headphones sitting on top of her head. They were a bright searing red, with two horned speakers adorned on top of it. She seemed to be looking over something on her terminal, tapping her pencil her desk, her eyes half lidded, lips lightly parted as she swayed lightly to whatever she was listening to. She wore a simple white tank with a heavy denim jacket over it, ripped jeans with fishnets beneath it and black dingy boots. She had her hair pulled into a ponytail with a black ball cap on top of her head and she wore minimal makeup.

 She had her hair pulled into a ponytail with a black ball cap on top of her head and she wore minimal makeup

She didn't seem to notice his staring or maybe she didn't care. Either way, Connor couldn't help but openly stare at her, his LED turning yellow as he was pulled deep into his thoughts. Hank droned on and on in the background about a string of android-related graffiti being tagged along prominent government buildings around Detroit. Hank was unsure if it was deviant related or not but he thought it'd be interesting to check out. Connor however, had his mind on other things.

Its been four days since he left Lee hanging off the ledge of a building. Four days since she's slapped him across the face. Four days since gave him that look of hurt and betrayal. Its been four days since she's spoken a word to him or had a direct conversation with him. Each time Connor tried to instigate conversation that wasn't work-related with her, she would brush him off, turn away from him, walk away from or or simply tell him in a short tone, "I'm busy."

If they were speaking it usually had to do with work and whenever he tried to steer the conversation in a different direction, she'd shut him down completely. It left a painful twinge within his heart.

The weight of his actions, weighed heavily on him. He found it harder to power himself down at CyberLife. He'd awaken at late hours of the night, finding himself plagued with the hurt look in Lee's eyes and her tear stained face. Her words seeming to repeat within his head over and over again.

"WHAT AM I TO YOU?!"

"Is that how you see humans? Is that how you see me...?"

"Maybe you are just a machine..."

He'd awaken when he should have been powered down, surrounded by the empty shells of the other back up RK800's, artificial thirium sweat dripping from his brow, creating a light blue sheen across his forehead. It made it hard for him to focus on his mission. He needed to fix things with Lee or he'd be plagued with this feeling.