10. Two steps back

Mia's pov:

All of them get up and immediately smile happily at Jacob except for her. She's rooted to her place angrily looking down.

Jacob lets go of my hand and greets all his friends. Austin, Jacob's Friend brings me out of my thoughts, "Alot more simpler and beautiful this time but oh my god! You looked really hot the last time we met, hii Mia." I smile in embarrassment. Jacob looks in our direction and gives him a solid death stare making him chuckle lightly.
"Sorry about the last time... things were..." he cuts me off.
"Funny... someone who can get on his nerves. It was entertaining to watch that." I don't say anything to him and just smile in embarrassment.

They are all looking at me awkwardly and me to them when Jacob suddenly realises it's time for him to introduce us, "Guys, this is Mia my..." he pauses but doesn't take too much time saying the next thing which almost makes my heart burst in happiness.
"Girlfriend.. my girlfriend." Both of us stare at each other forgetting about everything else and I beam at him happily hearing those words come out of his mouth. I am his what? Girlfriend... I wanna dance right here on this table but I hold back.

All of us take a seat... I am squeezed between Austin and Jacob. Austin introduces me to everyone one by one and they are all welcoming towards me Ofcourse except Amy. Her eyes are constantly on me and Jacob. Jacob on the other hand isn't even sparing her a look and talking to everyone else about casual topics.

"Drink Mia?" Austin asks me.
"Probably shouldn't... no thanks." Jacob eyes with amusement.
Alcohol is my enemy and after yesterday I should make sure not to drink in front of Jacob. I get myself some water instead.

"Well Nia, how did you end up with a guy like Jay? I mean you both seem poles apart. What I have heard from Austin is you're a teacher of some small town school." Amy asks me in her bitchy voice.
Jacob's Friends looks at me weirdly after hearing Amy's words.

Yeah neither rich nor Beautiful Mia Anderson with the rich and handsome Jacob Miller... obviously these questions will be raised especially by his ex who is a victoria's secret model afterall. It makes me angry but her question isn't entirely wrong. Jacob's jaw clenches in anger and he is about to say something back to her when Austin answers instead, "That's because Jacob has finally found true love in someone as amazing as MIA. It doesn't matter how different they are as individuals but matters how good they are when they are together." Both I and Jacob feel very touched hearing all this from Austin. Both of us smile at him and it also reminds me of our conversation from the first time we met when he said Jacob isn't a bad guy but a good guy at heart which turned out to be so true.

Austin raises his wine glass for a toast, "To Jacob and Mia." Everyone raises their glasses to click and aren't looking at us weirdly anymore. All his friends make small conversation with me about my job and tell me in return about theirs. Amy is trying to converse with Jacob but seeing Jacob's one word replies to her is making me at ease and relived from all the insecurities I had about them. She no longer bothers me.

I am mostly conversing with Austin about Kevin's case with his old agency and his new show staring on Netflix. I get why Austin and Jacob are bestfriends... they are really similar. I smile occasionally seeing Jacob holding or caressing my hand without even looking at me. Austin sees our tangled hands and shakes his head, "never imagined him to be so cheesy with someone." He whispers to me and I laugh a little.

When the food is about to serve I excuse myself to the washroom.
I look at myself in the mirror and readjust my hair when I see someone else standing next to me... Amy. She's staring at me with her hands folded.
"Jay's flavor of the month... let me say you're the worst of all of them. You're way out of his league and so tacky." She tells me angrily. I don't say anything to her and just wash my hands and try to leave when she gets in my way again.
"Dont get too attached to him... its gonna end for you guys sooner or later. He only loves his money and himself, so look out for yourself." With that warning she leaves.