16. 'Bad guys need angels the most'

Mia's pov:
I open my eyes with a really bad headache ready to torture me. I look around and see the familiar grey interior of Jacob's room. Why am I... I look besides me and see Jacob holding me in his arms. I gently try to get away when he wakes up all startled and immediately sits up.

"Mia, you're up... do you want something? Oh my god... you're up."

I try to speak but my throat feels really dry and weird. Vague memories from last night come back to me..."last night, I was." when Jacob brings me to his arms and hugs me gently. "I know and I am sorry, I am really sorry."

I get a little confused with his apologies, "What exactly happened?" I tell him with a low voice, my body feels really weak, my brain, my thoughts everything feels like a blank slate right now. I remember someone injecting me and I start to feel scared and anxious but I don't know what happened next.... "What happened? I remember being injected.... what really happened? What did they do to me? How did you find me?"

"How about you take some rest for now, I will call the doctor later this morning. I will explain you everything later." I don't feel like agreeing to him but my body feels really week so I just defeat the thought of arguing and just try to sleep. He sleeps besides me without leaving me.

Our faces are now just inches apart and we are staring at each other, I start to drift off to sleep again when he whispers . "No one can touch you again ever. I promise you." He then gives me a peck on my lips and hugs me. I close my eyes again and darkness engulfs me.

I wake up but in a different place now... where am I? I suddenly see the bus stop near the orphanage and see some men approaching me. I am about to run away when my legs are stuck in one place. They get to me, inject me and take me away.

I wake up feeling breathless and in sweat, what was that dream? Tears are now rolling down my cheeks and I start to cry a lot. Jacob wakes up and looks at me with helplessness. He tries to get close to me but I shiver and get away. He gets up, gets some water and slowly feeds me small small sips. I calm down a little and once he keeps the glass down, I rush to his arms and cry once more. He hugs me back tightly, "I am here, nothing will happen to you... I am here Mia." He pats my back soothingly and I feel calm in his arms.

I get away from him and stare him, he carasses my cheek and angrily looks away. "What really happened? Tell me please."
"I want you to recover first, I don't want you to think about all this for now."
"I should probably head home then and get some rest." His eyes widen and he refuses to let me go.
"You're not going anywhere until you have recovered."
"I'll be more comfortable at home Jacob."
"I can't bear the thought of you being away from me right now, you're not okay Mia, please just stay." Reminds me of the time when the robbery at my house took place and he asked me to stay back for days at his house.

"I won't eat you up even if you cling to me or get close to me." I chuckle a bit at his lousy way to make a joke in this situation.

I don't say anything and just look down at our entangled hands. "Security is much better here, I am here so you wouldn't have to worry about a thing."
"Your office? Wouldn't you go for work?"
"I'll just work from home for a few days." I now look up at him and feel thankful that he's trying to change his life to take care of me.
"Okay! I will stay here for the weekend."
"That was easier that I thought."

"Do you want to sleep some more? He asks me.
"I do still feel really weak but I don't feel like going back to sleep, I feel like sleeping is a nightmare."
"How about we go to the kitchen and I make some breakfast for you." I nod and I am about to get up when he picks me up in his arms and begins to walk out of the room.

I don't even yelp in surprise anymore, Jacob is Jacob, I smile while he takes me down through the stairs. He settles me down on the bar seat table near his kitchen. He starts to prepare for some Omelette and coffee.