Avoidance

I jiggled the key in the knob, grumbling, I strained to unlock the door, so I could slip inside and crawl under my covers for the rest of the night. I grunted, shouldering the door and at last, the wood gave way and let me inside.

I dropped my keys on the counter, they rattled and silenced as they settled.

I flicked on the kitchen light half expecting to be greeted by Crawford. His slug like stroll whenever he came to greet me ran through my thoughts. I sighed, a lone tear slipping from my eye. I wiped it away, and a steady stream of them came after.

I missed my dog.

He wasn't judging of me. I didn't have to hide anything from Crawford. I didn't have to worry whether Crawford liked me or not. And I sure didn't have to worry about him finding a new owner. He loved me unconditionally. He would never choose anyone else over me.

That was the difference between humans and animals. Animals got it. Humans pretended they did until something else suited them better. Humans were selfish.

I headed down the hallway, stopping first at Elliot and Easton's door. I threw it open hoping to see someone familiar. The room, scattered with bags of chips, pop cans and dirty clothes, was deserted. I turned my nose up at the stale smell—they really needed to learn how to air out their bedroom.

Next was Dads, I knocked before entering. But he was nowhere to be found, my feet clicked across his floor. I took a seat on his bed. I grimaced at the picture of Lynette in a dark oak frame beside his bed. This ended my tour of Dad's room. I peered into the wastebasket—his usual spot for hiding his whiskey bottles, there was nothing but discarded mail.

I pulled his door shut behind me and opened my own door. I shook my hair free of the barrette and set it down. I opened my closet and pulled out some sweat pants, slipping out of my shorts.

I hit the button on my iPod and sung along to the music as I ran my brush through my hair. Gotye-somebody I used to know, oh how it soothed my hurt pride to sing something so true to the heart.

I replaced the brush and wiggled into my sweat pants. Now it was time to sleep, to forget all the events of the day and just tune the world out. I set my phone to silent and tossed it on my nightstand, sinking into my bed and my fluffy comforter. Just as my head settled into my pillow a rattle coming from my window set me upright. I cursed to myself at the sight of Slade working his way through my window.

I turned on my lamp. Pulling the covers to shield myself from my unwanted visitor and whatever the reason was he came to see me.

"It's been almost three days since we spoke. Do you think you'll cave anytime soon?" He pulled up my computer chair and took a seat in front of me. "Or are you that stubborn?"

I was stubborn. "I would have talked to you when I was ready." I pursed my lips, avoiding his stare, which was more like an annoyed scowl. Who was he to scowl at me? I was doing what was best for my heart.

"Why are you not ready to talk to me," Slade demanded. His eyes darkened.

"Why do I have to explain myself?"

"Because it's polite, and I would think you would want to explain yourself to me." He shrugged, hunkering down on his legs like he was some cowboy about to shake the truth out of me. He sanded his hands together waiting for me to say something.

"Yeah, well, I am considerate to those that deserve my consideration." There showed him.

He laughed. "Since when don't I deserve it?"