Moonlight

I ran back to the party, pressing my palm against my face to clear the tears and mascara.

I slipped through the dance floor weaved around the table and found a spot against the back wall and took a seat. I was sure I would go unnoticed there. I dabbed at my eyes every couple of seconds trying to keep the tears away, but they were still coming.

Once the fifth stranger gave me a sympathetic smile, I decided a bathroom break was in order.

I pushed the bathroom door open and took the first stall. I dropped against the wall, biting my hand to stifle the sobs escaping. How many times was he going to crush me? I wasn't sure how much more I could take. Coming home turned into the worst mistake I ever made.

A soft tap echoed against the stall. I straightened up and waited for the culprit to speak.

"Everything alright," Karsen called. "I know a lot of people take that song literal on their birthday, but this is going too far."

Karsen shook the door. I unlocked it and dropped down on the toilet.

"You know...it's my party, and I'll cry if I want to." She scanned my somber expression for any hint of a smile. She dropped down to my level and smoothed my hair.

I sighed.

"I told him it was a bad idea." Karsen crossed her arms across her pale pink dress. "He insisted he was only going to wish you a happy birthday not make you semi suicidal."

"You know I envy you," I told her. She helped fix my running makeup and listened to my harebrained reasoning.

"Why would you envy me?" She always did this, like her beauty wasn't comparable. Like her personality wasn't something every girl wished they possessed. Everything came so easy with Karsen. Nothing ever felt worry-free with me.

"Everything you do you do it so well. You meet Kidd, and he falls head over heels for you. You find out he's a witch, and you handle it impeccably, while I am failing miserably." I lifted my head allowing her better access to my mouth, so she could apply new gloss.

My entire life I wished I was more like Karsen. She was carefree, and I was guarded. Her family was still together while mine was broken.

Her mother loved her to death and worried about her every move while mine worried about herself and her boyfriend.

"So your first serious relationship failed. It happens to everyone. I thought I was in love plenty of times, its infatuation." She capped the gloss and sifted through her tiny clutch for blush. "Your first sexual exploration always leaves you thinking the boy who deflowered you is God. You learn quickly it's nothing more than one of those crazy cults that live off in the country forcing people to drink Kool-Aid, and you get over it."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't know where you come up with these things." I stood, ready to return to my party. I was going to try to keep Slade far from my mind.

"Nona wants to cut the cake, so I suggest you hurry. And Mr. Tall, blonde and sexy is still out there celebrating your birthday without you." Karsen snapped her purse shut and threw her arms around me.

"Thanks, Karsen. I feel a lot better." I eyed myself in the mirror. You could barely tell I had two or three nervous breakdowns.

"No problem, that's why I'm your best friend, I'll always be here for you." She grabbed my arm stopping me from exiting. "And by the way, if you're wondering what a guy completely entranced looks like; take a good look at Hutch. He's totally smitten."

I scoffed. Sure he was sweet, but did that mean he was into me? Maybe this was why I was heartbroken and crying in bathrooms, and Karsen was in love with Kidd because I was oblivious to boys.

"Come on matchmaker let's get some cake before Nona drinks too many martinis."