Those eyes

I bit at my lip embarrassed all the attention was on me. The happy birthday song finished, and I held my hair back blowing out my nineteen birthday candles. Everyone cheered and the staff hurried to dish slices of berry cake with lavender frosting from one of the expensive bakeries in Cherry that Nona raved about. She said the bakery, and the gym got the bear share of her money because their cake was so good she needed to spend a week at the gym after going there.

Guest took seats and my actual friends: Karsen, Kidd, and Hutch stayed at the table. Kidd and Hutch chatted with each other. I loved that about Kidd, he was such an easy-going guy, who could make friends with anyone. I understood why Karsen was so into him. He was a genuine guy.

Dad came to stand next to me an empty cake plate in hand, "ready for your gift?"

I looked at him. I wasn't expecting anything; I thought he was just prolonging an excuse on why he didn't have a gift for me. I knew Dad always wanted to do the right thing by us kids, but when you couldn't, there was nothing you could do about that, and I didn't mind. It wasn't about gifts.

Suddenly, Hutch was behind me lowering a blindfold around my head. He tied it and took me by the shoulders. "You're going to love this. Your dad already gave us all a peek." His warm breath tickled my neck. I smiled, excited to see what the big surprise was.

Someone guided me to a seat. I prayed it wasn't a stripper because it would have been an awkward gift from my father. I kept my legs crossed and planted my hands in my lap waiting.

"Okay Hutch, undo her, so she can see what her amazing father did for her," Dad told Hutch a thick excitement attached to his words.

Black turned to light and I opened my eyes squealing with excitement. I jumped from my chair and raced for Dad and the Great Dane puppy in his hands. Hutch laughed, standing beside Karsen and Kidd watching me unable to control my excitement.

I grabbed the gray puppy from dad's arm squeezing him, "his eyes!"

Dad grinned. "You always loved the gray ones with blue eyes, and if it wasn't for having one horse already I would have bought you one. I figure it gives you a reason to visit all of us more often."

I smiled at Dad. "Of course I will visit. It doesn't take a dog to do that. Nevertheless, this is the best gift ever."

"Oh man, I guess the necklace was a flop after this gorgeous animal," Hutch joked, running a hand over the puppies head. The puppy wiggled and squirmed licking and biting my hands. Dad looked pleased with his gift and my reaction.

Karsen and Kidd joined all of us.

"So what's the beast's name?" Karsen asked.

I rubbed his head, my fingers colliding with Hutch's. I thought for only seconds. "Blue."

Everyone smiled.

Dad took Blue back and looked over at me. "Now that the party is done and Nona is trashed. Why don't you kids go out for pizza or whatever it is kids your age do."

I looked at Karsen and Kidd. Karsen nodded in agreement eager to take off.

"We can find a beach party or eat pizza until we puke it would be fun!" She exclaimed.

I turned to Hutch unsure if hanging out with Kidd was his idea of fun. He grinned.

"It's your birthday. Whatever you want to do tonight I am at your mercy." He smiled, throwing an arm around me.

Karsen raised a devious eyebrow. "Did you hear that, Hope? He said he is at your mercy, oh the possibilities."

Hutch returned the expression. "I've been at her mercy once before, and I rather enjoyed it, if I could only get so lucky again."

"We should crash the white-tie party down by Henry Park," Kidd said.

Karsen fell back in step with us; she brushed sand from her dress. "Yeah, it's some big shindig. I guess the town is trying to raise money for some new church coming to Cherry. I guess they think they can save us all from evil by adding some fancy church."

Kidd laughed. "Let the bible thumping begin. They will do anything to get rid of Henry Park and Evil kings. I say we check it out." He looked at all of us. "It could be fun."

Hutch agreed. "I'm always in for a good time. And besides, we're all dressed up and nowhere to go."

Karsen clapped her hands excited. Everyone was looking at me now. White tie meant every stuck up "do gooder" in Cherry would be there. Including the mayor, I weighed the odds of our adventure turning bad and shook my head.

"I'm in," I said.

The idea of crashing some swanky get together against everything I was didn't sound so bad. We had a lot more on our side, and after the night I had it sounded like an okay time.