Apparent

Nobody said a word since we started across the beach into Henry Park.

Kidd pounded on Slade's door and after a few seconds, the door opened. There he stood, shirtless and looked half asleep. He took a step down and looked everyone over before he spoke a word.

"What the hell are all of you doing here," Slade asked. I was sure it wasn't the welcome Kidd was looking for.

"Do you have any idea what's going on down the beach," Kidd asked. Karsen stepped closer.

"Or what the hell Tucker meant when he said he witnessed my best friend being stabbed through the chest last summer. And why I don't know anything about this." Karsen shot me a disturbed look.

Slade's eyes drifted to me. Hutch stood behind me pretending to not be a part of our conversation.

I opened my mouth unsure of what was about to come out. "I don't know how he knows."

Slade ran a hand through his hair. "But he knows."

Kidd sighed. "They all know. Or more or less suspect, they built an entire church to rid Cherry of witches. What do you have to say about that?"

Everyone looked at Kidd.

Slade dropped down the steps of the rv and his feet hit the ground with a thud. "What are you so upset about? It's not something we haven't heard before." He shrugged it off.

Kidd was furious. "They never built churches before. There was never actual proof, there going around saying they saw what happened that night."

"Will someone explain what the hell is going on?" Karsen snapped.

I was unsure of what to say again. I looked at Slade for help. He looked away.

"You're not going to say anything?" I asked him. "I'm just left holding the bag?"

Karsen groaned. "Someone speak!"

"It's not my secret to spill," Slade said taking a seat on the steps.

I chewed at my lip. "We will discuss it later."

"We will discuss it now, or I will go tell your dad." Karsen threatened.

My blood boiled. I stared her down. "You wouldn't dare."

Karsen crossed her arms. "Try me."

I sighed, giving Slade an evil glare before I explained. "Last summer I was wrapped up in a big mess. It involved Tucker and his dad. And we all thought the best way to deal with them was to take them head on."

Karsen kept her eyes glued to me.

"I was only hanging out with Tucker, so I could see Slade that night, but things went bad, I was drugged by Tucker and his dad. Long story short they left me on the beach for dead. And Slade saved me."

"By plunging a knife in your chest," Karsen asked.

The door to the rv came open and Audrey pushed Slade out of the way to get down the stairs. He stood up letting her through.

"Slade had a pesky problem by the name of Ezra, his dead witch of a girlfriend; he used Hope in a ritual to rid himself of Ezra, so he could be free to be with whom he wanted." Audrey explained.

"I didn't use Hope." Slade spoke. "It wasn't like that."

Audrey laughed, bored with the whole conversation, but she filled Karsen in on the rest of it. "You see in order to rid himself of Ezra, he needed to sacrifice someone. Hope was sacrificed."

Karsen raised an eyebrow confused. "But she's still here."

Kidd came to stand next to me. "Isn't it obvious? She's still here because Slade loves her. When is everyone going to quit pretending this isn't the issue? Slade loves Hope and Hope loves Slade. But, Slade is too much of an idiot to deal with it."

I looked at Slade.

Audrey stood up angry. "Slade's biggest mistake was making the decision to turn her into one of us."

Karsen gasped understanding it all. "You're a witch."

I nodded, tears escaping my eyes. "All because I was stupid enough to believe what him and I had was true."

Karsen hugged me. "Maybe it is."

"It's not." I broke away from her. "And I'm not mad anymore. If you want to pick Audrey over me, fine." I looked at Slade. He didn't speak. He didn't even look at me.

I turned to Hutch. "I'm ready to go home."

Audrey caught me by the arm. "Nobody is going anywhere."

I pulled away. "It's very clear I don't need to be here. You wanted him. You can have him."

Audrey shook her head. "Do you think I am going to sit back and let those people destroy us?"

I shrugged. I didn't know what she would do.

"We are going to finish what we started." She took me by the wrist. "You and I."

Slade shook his head. "Leave her out of this. She doesn't know the first thing about fighting off a whole town."

"It didn't stop you from using her the first time," Audrey said to Slade.

"Nobody is using me for anything," I spoke up. I was a human being I was allowed to voice my opinion when it came to my own life.

"Audrey, I didn't use her. Leave her alone and I will take care of the mess myself. It's my mess to take care of." Slade bit his lip.

Audrey was silent for a few seconds. "Fine. But under my rules, you finish the spell I created."

Everyone looked at Audrey stunned. But not me, I knew just what she was talking about, the café. The day they all came in when I was singing. She did something just like I expected.

"This will take care of both our problems." Audrey nodded. She gave Slade a long stare before he shook his head.

Hutch stepped forward. "I know other ways to take care of this church. Hope doesn't have to be a part of it."

Audrey laughed. "Oh, nature boy, great as that sounds, what we have in mind is going to be so much better. It seems you're just going to have to find a new girl to admire and wish was yours."

Hutch flexed his jaw in anger but didn't say anything else.

"If only Hope wasn't stupid enough to hold onto hope all summer that she ever had a chance with Slade." Audrey laughed.

Karsen was stopped before she lunged at Audrey. Kidd wasn't about to let Karsen stand up to Audrey.

"So it's settled. Slade, Hope and I will head on over to the church to take care of this little problem."

I swallowed. I wasn't sure there any getting out of it.

"Let me freshen up," Audrey told us taking off into the rv.

Slade and Kidd were off in the distance, talking to each other while I chewed my nail trying to think of something to do. Karsen paced back and forth.

"You never told me anything about this. I don't know what to do." She kept her eyes on the rv pacing.

Hutch stood beside me silent.

"Do you have any ideas?" I asked him. He was my last hope.

"I promised I'd help you." He leaned in and pretended to kiss the top of my head but whispered into my ear. "I'll figure something out, I promise."