Variety

"You have to go," I told Hutch, he stared me down. "Please."

"Why are you upset?"

I tore my eyes away from his. "I have a boyfriend. And I care about him. It may not seem like it, but I do."

Hutch raised his eyebrow in surprise. Like it was the most ignorant thing he ever heard. I admit I didn't sound too convincing.

"You're upset with yourself because you wanted to kiss me."

I flushed scarlet. He was right. "This power you have, do you use it whenever you see fit?"

Hutch eyes clouded with confusion. "Are you asking me if I had something to do with you wanting to kiss me?"

I nodded. It wasn't hard to believe. It made sense to think this guy could have whatever he wanted with his capabilities. I wasn't the kind of girl who jumped into the arms of anyone. I refused to believe I would be so quick to give in to another guy.

It hurt to think of what I almost did. I opened my door and lead Hutch down the hallway. I ran into my dad when I rounded the corner to get to the kitchen.

"Whoa, slow down before you make me spill my coffee, Hope." Dad's expression changed as he saw Hutch. "Who is this rather tall guy coming from my daughter's bedroom?"

I crossed my arms and muttered, "Hutch this is my dad, Dad this is Hutch."

Hutch extended his hand. I just wanted to get him far away from my house, so I could repent for my sins in the peace and quiet of my bedroom. I felt awful.

While Dad and Hutch chatted about his former whereabouts and his goals while visiting California my phone rang in my pocket. I pulled it free and immediately was bombarded with Karsen's shrill tone.

"I do not want any objections. You are coming to hang out with Kidd, Slade and I tonight. There will be no Audrey or Erica, and you have no choice in the matter. We will see you in ten minutes." She ended the call before I could protest. My heart dropped to my feet, and I started to panic.

"Say good-bye, Dad." I told him, grabbing Hutch's arm and pulling him to the door. Dad stared flabbergasted I interrupted probably his only manly conversation he participated in in a while.

I released Hutch from my grasp on the porch.

"You're running me out so quickly. I thought we could finish our conversation. I was serious about helping you." His fingers skimmed my hair, brushing it off my shoulder. "Promise you'll consider my offer."

I looked away. "I can't promise anything, Hutch. When I'm around you I find myself feeling horrible about myself."

"Almost kissing me, you mean? Would it be such a bad thing? Or are you just worried you would enjoy yourself?"

"It doesn't matter." I moved closer to the door taking hold of the handle. "You shouldn't be trying to kiss girls with boyfriends."

He nodded. "What bad could come out of something so wonderful?"

I laughed, amused by his reasoning. "I could think of a few things, like my boyfriend's fist."

Hutch shrugged. "Consider it. I'm not trying to ruin your relationship with your boyfriend. I hate to see something bad happen to you is all."

"You have to go. I'll do my best to consider it." I waved him away and headed inside. I didn't understand why Hutch cared about my wellbeing. We were two people from the opposite side of the world. He had morals. While I was running around with the dark side, I didn't know what to believe, I didn't know him enough to believe he was genuine.