Sense

It seemed like hours passed. Dad still was nowhere to be found, and my brothers were gone like usual. I was starting to wonder if there was any hope for me.

I tried sending cerebral messages to Hutch to Karsen to anyone who could help me. But it was beyond me if it even worked.

Slade stood bringing me back to life. "It's time, let's go."

I stared at him confused but stood. "How do you know?"

He took me by the elbow and led me to the door. "Just call it a feeling."

***

It was dark. The moon followed reflecting on the ocean. We headed down the beach into Henry park.

There was a soft lull of mosquitos, in the distance, and a cool chill to the air.

I started to regret not leaving Dad a note. Something saying good-bye, or that I loved him, maybe just enough to give him peace if I didn't come back.

I knew Karsen was going to be busy with Kidd. He wouldn't let her get hurt even if it meant trying to help me. I didn't know if Kidd would help me if it meant going against the coven or Slade. I wasn't sure of anything.

Slade headed past his Rv, and through the empty field of trampled grass where at one time was the stomping ground for their concerts. The stage was gone; it was all vacant and eerie. He stopped in front of the fence. The fence where I first realized just how desperate Slade was to be free of his problems.

He pulled the chain, and we entered, I gasped. There stood Audrey in the middle of a stone circle. Along with Tucker bound at the ankles and his hands behind his back. His mouth was covered with tape, so he couldn't scream for help. And he looked frightened and miserable.

Audrey clapped her hands at the sight of us heading toward her. Slade stepped over the circle, his hand still on my arm.

Audrey took me by the other arm; she pushed me down beside Tucker. His sweaty body touched mine; I pulled away. "What are you going to do?"

I looked at Slade. Slade looked at Audrey for an answer. He never said much when she was around creating chaos.

"Don't worry your pretty little head," she told me, she raised her palms to the sky and ignited the circle. Tucker's muffled pleas were audible beside me.

I watched in fear. Unsure if I wanted to try to object any further. Audrey wanted me dead and gone, so Slade could be hers, even if he didn't want her. They all wanted him, but nobody understood him like I did. Nobody saw the real Slade; they saw a useful tool.

And I wondered if ever in Slade's life he felt accepted, or human, or loved. As I sat there, my skin starting to heat, the sweat starting to build with each flick of the fire, I realized I was the only one who showed Slade love. I cared about him, and I wished he seen that.

I wished he didn't see me as a pawn like Hutch thought he did. I wished I talked to my mom. I wished a lot of things, but one thing I would never wish was that I never met Slade.

We locked eyes for a brief moment. His expression changed.

Audrey drew a silver dagger from behind her back revealing its elegant carved blade. She extended her hand to Slade offering him the knife. I swallowed my fear, my heart in my throat and fear coursing my veins, sickening my gut.

Tucker's muffled screams and thrashing grew even louder as Slade accepted the knife. I didn't know what to do or say to comfort him. I couldn't even comfort myself. I held my breath watching Slade study the knife in his hand. His head shot back up. He nodded, pleasing Audrey. And as she turned, Slade did something I didn't expect.