Birthday Candles

I secured the tiny black earrings in my ears coming out of my bedroom. Nona gasped, pleased with the new dress she and Claude special ordered for me.

"Oh, Sweet pea. You look absolutely stunning." She gushed, hands to her face as she admired me. She touched the silken fabric. I gave a little twirl. I was quite fond of the dark purple and black sleeveless dress. I liked the way it looked wrapped against my body. The black lay under the purple and gave the illusion it winded around my entire body. And I loved how the neckline accentuated parts of me I otherwise would have frowned about. It was a great dress.

"Thanks. I feel absolutely stunning." I took a seat next to Claude while Dad tried finding a tie in his closet and struggled to get the wrinkles out of his nice clothes.

"Honey I am going to help my son pull himself together. If we wait any longer we are going to miss our reservations," Nona said to Claude and clomped out of the room.

I smiled at Claude. He winked back and stayed his usual quiet self, between the French accent and his lack of conversation. I didn't know what to say to him. I wondered how Nona, and him got along so well. She loved to gossip, and Claude was the strong silent type.

Dad and Nona resurfaced. Dad straightened his dark-blue tie, and Nona smoothed his shirt out. She was forever treating him like a teenager, and he always put up with it. It wasn't any different than me taking care of him. I frowned at the thought of the old days when Dad took care of me and our family, and how much he missed it.

"You look great, Hope," Dad said, kissing my cheek. I smoothed my hair down. I didn't know what to expect. I knew there was some kind of birthday dinner, but Karsen refused to go into detail. I hated surprises.

We pulled up to the boardwalk, where several overpriced restaurants sat. The ones I never set foot in unless I was with Nona, like tonight. I slid out of Claude's fancy car and followed everyone to the twinkling lights from the restaurant.

Nona bypassed all three restaurants slipping behind the last and final building. I made a face at Dad. He shrugged his shoulder and offered me his arm.

We passed the brick of the restaurant and rounded the corner to a glorious looking terrace. I gasped.

"Surprise!"

I couldn't believe my eyes. Nearly the entire town of Cherry was decked out in fancy dresses and dress shirts. Purple and silver balloons fluttered around the wooden post of the terrace. Silver star confetti was sprinkled around each table setting and in the center was a gigantic purple and silver birthday cake.

"What do you think?" Dad asked patting my back. "Did Nona go all out or what?"

I looked over the crowd of people. Some I didn't recognize, but I knew they were friends of Nona and some I seen at the supermarket or on the beach. Nona knew everyone.

I smiled at Elliot and Easton, who stood among their friends sipping fancy drinks. They to dressed up in matching dress shirts and ties. Out of the crowd came Hutch, he smiled and pulled a present from behind his back. I was surprised he was there. However, I was sure it had something to do with Karsen. I found her and Kidd in the crowd. She smiled at me as I accepted Hutch's gift.

Dad left me and Hutch alone and took off for the refreshments.

"I thought I told you no more gifts?" I said, pulling the pink bow loose. I tore the paper from Hutch's present.

"Birthdays don't count. Glad I could come," Hutch said watching me open the gift.

I laughed at the ruby-red slippers on the silver chain. I handed it over to Hutch and lifted my hair. He secured it around my neck.