New Path

I stared at my odd-shaped cookie, the ones the Shore Café was so famous for serving. Every circular table was draped with sea foam green tablecloths and seashell centerpieces. The windows were bedazzled with sand dollars around every window frame, and the floor's tiles emblazoned with tiny shells itself.

"I don't understand the ambience of this place. We live by the ocean. Why would someone want to come inside and stare at it some more?" I asked Nona. She pushed my cookie toward me, shooting me a bothered stare.

"People live in Cherry because they enjoy the ocean. They want the ocean up close and personal." She smacked her hand down on the table with a loud whap. "Clive knows business. He knows what sells. And he is going to sell you."

I raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that illegal?"

"Is what illegal?" Nona looked around; the passing waitress was dressed in nothing more than short turquoise shorts, and a white t-shirt tied at the waist. Their bodies bronze like goddesses, and their hair was swept up with seashell barrettes. I was even more curious about Clive the more I saw his Café.

I wasn't sure what to expect. Maybe a middle aged balding man with lots of chest hair and cheap gold chains around his neck, one of those smiles you just wished he would shut off.

Nona was staring at me as I came back to reality. "I asked you a question."

"What? Oh, I was just making a joke about Clive selling me." I shook my head at her slow humor—more like none at all.

The door chimed behind us, and the staff shouted cheers of joy, just like they did for us and the many others who entered.

"Now that's a looker." Nona shouted to the masses. I twisted in my seat, because Nona was not one to talk about other men. To her Claude was the hottest thing since anything pretty much.

To my shock, it was Hutch. He was taking a seat in the booth by the window with the two guys from the beach. Which I now knew were his brothers. He accepted the menu the waitress handed him and smiled at me.

"Do you know them," Nona asked. She didn't take her eyes away from Hutch. "They're all very attractive if I must be honest."

"I've seen him around," I said, pushing my hair behind my ear and looking away from his glorious smirk. I hoped he stayed where he was because I wasn't in the mood for Nona's antics. He would think she was crazy and seeing we were related it wouldn't look good for me.

I shifted in my seat. "What does this meeting entail?"

"Clive wanted to meet you," Nona said taking a bite of her cookie, crumbs dropped on the table, and she swatted them away.

"Nothing more?"

"Nothing less, just answer his questions, do as he asks, and you will walk out of here with a new path in life, sweet pea."" She turned her head, flying out of her seat as a tall man entered the room.

"Clive!" Nona squealed, throwing her arms out, and in no time Clive was grabbing her and pulling her into his grasp. She was making quite the show, the entire café—including Hutch, watched Nona yuk it up with Clive.

Nona guided Clive around the table to me. Now I was nervous because this man with dark hair was looking at me—all of me. And he wasn't some cheesy salesman or fat grandpa. He was...hot, the same age or around the age of my dad, but attractive like Hollywood actors, with the hair of a Greek god, hair-like James Dean.

He extended his hand. "Clive Jennings," he said, shaking mine with a generous amount of force.

"Hope Zigler," I said back. Clive wasted no time in pulling up a chair. He waved to the passing waitress.