Birthday

Birthdays, the one day a year I liked to forget. I was not like most girls. I didn't get excited. I didn't care about growing older.

I toweled my hair and came back into my room. There was a pale pink envelope addressed to me sitting on my pillow. I picked it up and sighed. It was my mother's attempt at contacting me.

I slipped it on the top shelf of my closet and shut it away. I didn't want to see it. Someone's artistic ability wishing me a happy birthday wasn't the same as hearing her say it herself. I wasn't going to be shocked if she didn't call on my birthday. She never called.

And out my bedroom I went. The smell of maple syrup tickled my nose and teased my stomach. When I rounded the corner, I jumped out of my skin.

Karsen, Kidd, Nona, Dad and Elliot and Easton were all decked out in polka-dot party hats and those annoying noise makers.

"Happy birthday," everyone said in sync, smiles on each of their faces.

Nona kissed the top of my head, making me sit and placed a stack of French toast in front of me with a side of cantaloupe.

"We all wanted to be the first ones to wish you happy birthday," Karsen said nudging Kidd. He worked a small box out of his pocket and set it in front of me. "It's from Kidd and I."

I lifted the black lid and pulled out the silver necklace. "It's beautiful." I fingered the small musical note dangling at the end along with half a heart. Looking at Karsen, she flashed me the other half of the silver charm. "Thanks, you guys."

Nona was next. She pushed my plate out of the way and dropped a larger gift on the table. The flashy silver paper danced against the table. I pulled at the red bow and quickly dove into it. Nona always gave the best gifts.

"A laptop," I smiled, kissing Nona on the cheek thankful for my gift. It was just the gift I needed now that I was away at college. And I knew Dad couldn't afford to fork the money out for one. "Thanks, Nona."

Elliot and Easton both stood up and set a gift bag on the table. "Since when do you guys give me gifts?" Dad smiled from the doorway. He sipped his coffee watching me pluck purple tissue paper one after the other from the bag.

"Love spell body spray," I said with a grin. "You guys remembered."

Elliot rolled his eyes. "It's all the house smells like anymore. We thought you might need a refill. There's lotion in there too."

"Thanks guy," I said, sitting back in my chair. Nona pushed my plate in front of me again.

I started to eat what I could. I didn't have much of an appetite. The one person that was supposed to be out of my mind was on it.

Karsen slid over a seat. "How have things been?"

That was all it took. A sudden rush of tears escaped me. I didn't talk to Karsen about my Slade sighting. She didn't know I saw the kiss.

"Sweet pea is everything alright?" Nona asked alarmed by the tears and sobs that shook my body. She wasn't one for sadness; she lived in a world of joy all day long. Dad came to stand beside me, his hand clamping down on my shoulder.

"If it's because I didn't give you a present..." he teased, trying to get me in a better mood.

I wiped at my eyes and forced a small smile. "I'm not worried about a present, Dad." Everyone stared at me. They all acted like it was the strangest thing they ever seen—except for Kidd. He looked troubled. He rubbed the back of his neck and looked away from my tears, and this didn't sit well with me.