Gigs

I had been singing for Clive for a week now. Three times a week and I loved what I was doing. Clive paid his entertainers great money, and to some the free coffee and cookies were an added perk. I did my best to choke down strong cappuccinos whenever I was in his presence, but when he was out for the day, I preferred bottled water.

I gave Moe the sheet music to my musical selection and settled in on the stool behind the mic. At first, I was strong enough to stand on stage and belt out three songs, but sometimes people shouted encore, and my staying power flew right out the window. Clive was always willing to give the people what they wanted, even if it left me gravelly and wiped out by the end of my shift.

The door chimed just as we were gearing up and in walked Karsen. She waved at me and took a seat on the overstuffed couch in the corner. There weren't many other choices for seating in the packed café at the moment.

I stared around the room at the awaiting customers. Some sipping coffee, others chatting and laughing with their friends, I was glad to see Karsen finally made it to one of my gigs. She and I hardly hung out since she started hanging with Erica and Audrey.

The door chimed again and in came Hutch. He shot me a quick wave and headed to the counter for coffee. He was doing a great job at pretending he wasn't there to see me sing. He even poked at the brunette taking his order, giving her his famous grin.

"Are we ready?" Moe asked, he dropped his head strumming a fast jingle to get into character. I chose a song I hadn't sung ever. But I was drawn to it while surfing the web trying to come up with new music to sing to the masses.

Moe leaned closer to me. He wasn't a bad looking guy. A little skinny, laid-back style, a great head of hair like Clive, and arms covered in tattoos. He was hip and funny and kept me on the up and up when it came to singing at the Shore Café.

"So I was thinking before we start. Is there any way you could sing backup?" I stared at him hoping he wouldn't panic.

"No problem. My sister listens to these guys all the time." He started playing. As I peered out into the audience, I immediately noticed Slade and Kidd standing in the back of the café next to Karsen. Kidd nuzzled Karsen's neck, and Slade smiled at me. It wasn't a bright beaming smile. It was more a Jordan Catalano manner in my so-called life, the I'm-to-cool-to-seem-genuinely-happy kind of smile.

The first song went off without a hitch. I never understood the expression, but it was fitting for the moment. I took a swig of water, discussing the next song with Moe just as Hutch settled at the table in the front row.

Karsen hurried over. "You're doing amazing," she told me, squeezing my hand. "I wouldn't expect anything other than amazing though."

Moe smiled, not saying anything. I got the impression he wasn't into getting to know anyone he didn't have to. He just wanted to play music and leave at the end of the night. Slade joined Karsen and Kidd. I noticed Hutch watching. I wondered what he was thinking, or if he was trying to figure out what I saw in someone like Slade.

"Having fun?" Slade asked, he wagged his finger drawing me to him. I planted a kiss on his lips.

"It's fun. I'm glad you came to see me sing." I smiled, stealing a glance in Hutch's direction. He shifted in his seat, his jaw tense.

"We all wanted to support you." Karsen interrupted. We? I asked myself, my eyes searched the crowd and located Erica and Audrey. Audrey wiggled her hand in my direction. She climbed on the stool and took a seat.

Moe began playing my next song and Karsen, Kidd and Slade all found places to sit while I started to sing. It would have felt great to have my friends there to watch me sing, but it didn't because once again to see them, it meant seeing Audrey.