Nature

I watched as Hutch laid out the contents of the pouch strange Jane gave him.

"I never told you where I'm from," Hutch said, he lit one of the herbs, I wasn't sure what it was, the strong peppery aroma wafted past my nose disappearing in the breeze.

"So tell me," I smiled, watching him rub the remaining ash in his palms. He reached for me. I offered my hand. Hutch grinned.

"I grew up in Maine with my grandparents after my parents left." He tugged on my pointer finger. I watched him, concentrating on his story rather than what was happening.

"Once a coven grows so big they break apart into what we call a hive." He dropped his gaze.

I yelped in pain pulling away from Hutch. He dropped the culprit—a thorn, in a hole he dug earlier. "Three drops of blood."

I hoped he wasn't talking to me. I was known for having a weak stomach, but he was. I gave my hand back letting him milk me of my plasma. Three perfect beads of blood dropped in the sand.

"What are you doing?" I asked, watching him cover my blood with bits of sand and more herbs.

"I am enhancing your abilities, giving you a chance to fight if it comes down to it." He wiped my finger clean. "I'm fusing you with nature."

If you say so. "Does that mean I can talk to the trees and those cute squirrels outside my window in the morning?"

Hutch's expression changed. He didn't find my joke funny. I reminded myself this was serious and his way of life. "Everything in life is natural. Everything comes together, and this will help you, believe me."

I pursed my lips. If I was going to start somewhere I figured belief was the best road to travel to get there. "Okay, so what do I do now?"

Hutch sat back, collecting the remaining ingredients. "Believe in yourself."

"That's it?" I asked, disappointed there wasn't a big ordeal that needed to take place filled with sparkles and potions.

"Think of the spell as a stepping stone, it will lead you down the path, but it's up to you to get there." He sat back, resting his arms against his knees and stared at the water. "When our coven got so large we split. And because my parents were of such great importance they traveled, leaving my brothers and I behind."

This made me sad, to lose your family because of who you were. I could never imagine losing my father over magic. Nevertheless, it seemed Hutch accepted it.

"Where are they now?" I asked, watching the seagulls dive into the water in search of a bite to eat.

"I'm not quite sure. It's been some time since any of us heard from them. My grandparents passed on, and that's when I was responsible. It was a lot of responsibility at first, but I learned to accept it." Hutch sighed.

"Why do you travel?" I asked, if he held such an important role, I didn't understand why he was always on the road, never in one place.

Hutch looked over at me, "even those who mean well go off course."

I held back my shock. I hated to think he was hiding something sinister like everyone else around me.

"Our coven was attacked one night during a ritual. It was a mess, and the three of us took off. I abandoned our kind and several people died. I was young. I didn't know what I was doing, but that doesn't mean I don't feel like shit everyday about it." He pushed my hair behind my ear, lifting my chin.