Pain

I was lying in the middle of my bedroom listening to music way to loud and ignoring Dad's warnings to turn it down. I tapped my feet to the beat of the music, getting a kick out of Lily Allen's lyrics and how they fit my life.

"Hope, the music goes down now," Dad shouted, pounding against my door—which was locked.

I tossed my notebook and pen to the side and sat up shoving my hair from my eyes. If he wanted the music down I would turn it down I thought. I pointed at my iPod speakers concentrating for seconds before the volume rose spreading the sweet sounds of Lily through my bedroom even louder. It was glorious.

I secured my hair back with a rubber band and picked up the notebook. I started to read it over.

Dear Slade,

I find it hard to say what I want to say to you anymore. I no longer feel safe even being around you with Audrey there. So I have employed other means of communicating my bitterness over this newest issue.

You are the most stubborn, insensitive ass I have ever met. Just when I think you care, when I begin to believe maybe you're going to show me your true self, you reject me—again.

I may be young, but I am not stupid. And I have learned one valuable thing from growing up with my parents. What is that you might be wondering?

I learned to know when to throw in the towel. I learned I am more important than any relationship I could ever have with a guy. And if that guy doesn't see what he has, that's his loss.

Sure, I'll be sad, depressed even. However, those are all things I have lived with for a long time. You're not the first person to disappoint me, Slade. And I have a feeling you won't be the last.

When you decide to grow up come find me.

Hope

I tore the paper from my notebook and folded it until it was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. Holding it to my chest, I concentrated on Slade.

***

Nona was at the stove making another dinner for us. Dad sat at the kitchen table. His hair was a mess. He was still in his pajamas. I wasn't the only one with relationship issues, I thought to myself, snagging a crescent roll off the plate from the middle of the table.

"Did you get whatever was pissing you off out," Dad asked dryly. He was in a bad mood ever since Lynette and him broke up.

"Yes. It was very therapeutic." I chewed. "I feel a ton better."

Nona spun around, a wooden spoon in her hands. She made it over to Dad. "Taste this, and please explain to me why you're still in your pajamas."

I smirked, watching Nona force feed Dad white sauce.

"Because some people have a hard time dealing with their love lives, Mother," Dad griped. He scrubbed his chin with his fingers focusing on me again. "Why are you so chipper?"

I raised an innocent eyebrow. "It's a beautiful day. Who wouldn't be?"

Nona brought a hand to her hip. "I thought you and Slash broke it off? Maybe you're not related to this man, because genetics would suggest you should be miserable and sobbing uncontrollably in your room right now."

Nona and I started laughing. She winked turning and going back to the sauce on the stove.

I brushed the crumbs from my hands. "I don't think there was ever much to break off. Things just didn't work out, but I think I'm okay with that. When Slade comes to his senses and matures things will be different" I stood up.